Dr. Mullur received her medical degree from the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center. She completed her internal medicine residency and chief residency at Barnes-Jewish Hospital/Washington University School of Medicine at St. Louis. She then completed a fellowship in Endocrinology at the VA-Cedars Sinai Medical Center. After post-graduate training, Dr. Mullur completed additional training in clinical research as well as a 2-year medical education fellowship. Dr. Mullur also sought additional training in both integrative medicine and yoga. She is board certified by the American Board of Integrative Medicine and holds a 200-hour yoga certification, where she is registered with the international alliance for yoga therapists (IAYT).
Dr. Mullur's clinical practice at the UCLA Gonda Diabetes Center is focused on the use of integrative, mind-body approaches in the management and care of patients with diabetes and hormonal disorders. Her clinical interests include the use of yoga and mind-body approaches for diabetes, integrative approaches for stress management and fatigue, and the judicious use of herbal and micronutrient supplements in chronic disease. Her philosophy as a physician prioritizes learning her patients’ stories to deliver personalized and compassionate medical care rooted in deep respect for her patients.
She has pioneered several clinical, research, and educational programs using both integrative medicine as well as digital technology for the management of chronic disease. She currently serves as the Chief of Telehealth at the VA Greater Los Angeles, where she started one of the first tele-yoga programs for veteran in 2012. She is a national leader on the use of integrative medicine in the virtual setting.
Currently, Dr. Mullur serves as the Education Lead for the UCLA Integrative Medicine Collaborative. In this capacity, she leads effort at DGSOM to bring integrative medicine into the medical education curricula. She also serves on the BIPOC advisory board for the Academy of Integrative Health & Medicine and the DEI Advisory committee for the Academic Consortium of Integrative Medicine & Health to foster health equity in integrative medicine.
Medical Board Certifications
Areas of Focus
- Remote Monitoring
- Complementary & Integrative Health
In the News
- Interviewed and Quoted in October 3, 2022 for healthline.com article “Mindfulness Linked to Lower Blood Sugar Levels in People with Type 2 Diabetes” by Shawn Radcliffe, website: Type 2 Diabetes: Research Shows Mindfulness May Help Lower Blood Sugar (healthline.com)
- Interviewed and Quoted in February 22, 2022 for inverse.com article “Adaptogens are the latest wellness craze…” by Katie McBride, website: Adaptogens are the latest wellness craze. But do they actually do anything? (inverse.com)
- Interviewed and Quoted in October 23, 2021 two-part series on TheHonestMigraine.com: “Diabetes is on the rise…” by Shelby Ramsey, website: UCLA doctor says diabetes on the rise; global obesity escalates - The Honest Migraine and Diabetes a highly stressful disease that’s hard to cope with - The Honest Migraine
- Interviewed for September 3, 2021 article for thriveglobal.com: “Telehealth Best Practices; How To Best Care For Your Patients When They Are Not Physically In Front Of You” by Luke Kervin, website: Dr. Rashmi Mullur Of The David Geffen School of Medicine: “Be open-minded to innovation” (thriveglobal.com)
- Featured guest. “Crucial Conversations: Racism and Health Care in the Asian, Asian-American, Pacific Islander and South Asian Communities” hosted by AIHM BIPOC committee. Date: June 29, 2021 AIHM Forum ~ Crucial Conversations | Racism and Health Care in the Asian, Asian-American, Pacific Islander, and South Asian Communities | AIHM
- Featured guest. “Integrative Medicine in Medical Education, Culture, and Society” hosted by AIHM Wellness Webinar series. Date February 26, 2021 https://aihm.org/event/aihm-wellness-webinar-dr-rashmi-mullur-md-saloni-gupta-tanya-datta-integrative-medicine-in-medical-education-culture-and-society/
- Featured panelist. “Your COVID-19 Questions Answered, Part 7: Integrative Medicine” hosted by UCLA Health. Date: October 26, 2020 https://cewm.med.ucla.edu/events/virtual-speaker-series-your-covid-19-questions-answered/
- Interviewed and Quoted in an October 24, 2020 business insider article: “How to increase dopamine levels and feel like your best self” By Lindsay Kalter, website: https://www.businessinsider.com.au/how-to-increase-dopamine-2020-10
- Featured guest. “An Integrative Approach to Healing” on the November 20th 2019 episode of Uninvisible POD hosted by Lauren Freedman, website: https://uninvisiblepod.com/2019/11/20/episode-49-dr-rashmi-mullur/
- Interviewed and Quoted in an Oct 9, 2019 mic.com article : “The benefits of mushroom coffee, according to doctors” By Melissa Pandika, website: https://www.mic.com/p/the-benefits-of-mushroom-coffee-according-to-doctors-19201219
- Featured guest: “How An Integrative Approach May Be The Key To Health” on the July 24th, 2019 episode of MD for MOMS RADIO hosted by Carly Snyder, MD, website: https://www.carlysnydermd.com/md-for-moms-radio-dr-rashmi-mullur-integrative-endocrinology-july-24th-2019/
- Interviewed and Quoted in an April 8, 2019 Nutrition Action article: “Can adaptogens help you adapt to stress?” By Caitlin Dow, website: https://www.nutritionaction.com/daily/dietary-supplements/can-adaptogens-help-you-adapt-to-stress/
- Interviewed and Quoted in March 7, 2019 Medscape article: “Adrenal Fatigue: 'Just a Myth'?” By John Watson, website: https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/909677#vp_3
- Quoted in a January 25, 2019 Reader’s Digest article: “What Standard Thyroid Testing Won’t Tell You” By Dawn Yanek, website: https://www.rd.com/health/conditions/standard-thyroid-testing-wont-tell-you/
- Interviewed and quoted in a November 2, 2018 Vox.com article: “Adaptogens, the mysterious herbs that supposedly alleviate your stress, explained” By Cheryl Wischhover, website: https://www.vox.com/the-goods/2018/11/2/18026400/adaptogens-moon-juice-amanda-chantal-bacon-ashwagandha
- Quoted in an April 25, 2018 Reader’s Digest article: “The 16 Vitamins (and Supplements) Doctors Actually Take Every Day” By Dawn Yanek, website: https://www.rd.com/health/wellness/vitamins-doctors-take-every-day/
- Interviewed for July 10, 2018 article for healthline.com: “Platypus Venom May Help in Battle Against Diabetes” by Elizabeth Pratt, website: https://www.healthline.com/health-news/platypus-venom-help-diabetes#1
- Interviewed for May 1, 2018 article for EndocrinologyAdvisor.com: “Is There a Role for Precision Nutrition in the Management of Type 2 Diabetes?” by Tori Rodriguez, website: https://www.endocrinologyadvisor.com/type-2-diabetes-advisor/precision-nutrition-to-tailor-dietary-interventions-for-type-2-diabetes/article/761312/