Health Equity, Diversity & Inclusion
Taking action today to build an equitable tomorrow.
At UCLA Health, we believe that equity is an essential principle that must be incorporated into each part of our organization. By being equity-focused, we are taking steps to:
- BUILD new structures and practices to promote anti-racism, inclusive excellence and equity for our people.
- IMPROVE the clinical experience of our patients through accessibility, cultural humility and affirming care.
- INVEST in our community through education, service and advocacy.
Why a UCLA Health physician felt it was vital to enroll her kids in a COVID-19 vaccine trial
‘We wanted to ensure that communities of color knew that their children were accounted for in these initial studies,’ says Dr. Medell Briggs-Malonson
First-gen medical students share their experiences and message for others on same path
‘I come from that perspective where education and being able to just do something else besides survival is a privilege,’ says DGSOM student Kendra Arriaga-Castellanos.
Award-winning educator, pediatrician fights to upgrade standards of care for vulnerable children
‘Children are our future and if we don’t invest in them, we don’t have a shot,’ says UCLA Health’s Dr. Moira Szilagyi.
Our mission is to create and advance a healthcare system that achieves optimal health and wellbeing for our staff, patients and community.
Our vision is to be the premier leader of inclusivity, justice and equity in healthcare.
We commit to ownership of our beliefs, practices and behaviors, recognizing we must be intentional and action-oriented to advance equity and justice
We commit to providing the highest quality of service that aligns with our mission to achieve optimal well-being for our staff, patients and community.
We commit to modeling authentic and inclusive collaboration with our staff, patients and community.
We commit to always putting forth our best efforts and ideas to create an inclusive and equitable environment for our staff, patients and community.
We commit to acting ethically and boldly to do what is right regardless of the circumstances.
We commit to upholding an open and honest environment for deep self-reflection and continuous improvement.
- We believe a diverse and inclusive health care workforce and environment results in better care, service and health outcomes for our patients.
- We believe that our commitment to EDI will result in greater productivity, innovation and engagement of our staff and patients.
- We are committed to being intentional with our actions and embracing anti-racism and anti-bias principles to advance equity and justice for our staff and patients.
- We are committed to building stronger work relationships with each other and providing high-quality, equitable health care to the diverse patient populations that we serve.
We welcome and invite questions, concerns or ideas
We welcome your ideas on how to best co-develop our future steps to achieve an equitable and inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and circumstances.