What we believe
In 2020, UCLA Health strengthened its commitment to anti-racism and anti-bias principles after multiple incidents of police brutality against Black people in the United States.
The following year, UCLA Health became one of the first health care systems in the nation to fund both an Office of Health Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (HEDI) and an executive position. Dr. Medell Malonson-Briggs holds that position today. Our entire team of dedicated professionals shares a vision for transforming our community by advancing health equity, diversity and inclusion.
Our HEDI team believes a diverse and inclusive environment results in better care, service and health outcomes for our patients. We also believe that our commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion will result in greater productivity, innovation and engagement among our staff and patients.
UCLA Health welcomes all people and values their unique characteristics and experiences. We are committed to building stronger work relationships with each other and providing high-quality, equitable health care to the diverse patient populations we serve.
Our mission is to create and advance a health care system that achieves optimal health and well-being for our staff, patients and community.
Our vision is to be the premier leader of inclusivity, equity and justice in health care.
- Accountability: We commit to ownership of our beliefs, practices and behaviors, recognizing we must be intentional and action-oriented to advance equity and justice.
- Service: We commit to providing the highest quality of service that aligns with our mission to achieve optimal well-being for our staff, patients and community.
- Partnership: We commit to modeling authentic and inclusive collaboration with our staff, patients and community.
- Excellence: We commit to always putting forth our best efforts and ideas to create an inclusive and equitable environment for our staff, patients and community.
- Courage: We commit to acting ethically and boldly to do what is right regardless of the circumstances.
- Transparency: We commit to upholding an open and honest environment for deep self-reflection and continuous improvement.
Our responsibility to promote equity, diversity and inclusion
UCLA Health is one of the largest employers in Los Angeles and the highest-ranked health system in the city. We recognize the responsibility that comes with this unique position. We are compelled to use our influence to create a more inclusive and equitable environment for everyone. We do not take that responsibility lightly, especially when it comes to combating racism, discrimination and bias in our organization and our community as a whole.
Who we are
Our passionate team members combine their unique backgrounds and experiences to make a difference. We work together to cultivate an environment where everyone feels appreciated and respected for what they bring to the team.
We welcome and invite questions, concerns or ideas
We welcome your ideas on how to best co-develop our future steps to achieve an equitable and inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and circumstances.