Sports Medicine Rotation for Residents Outside of UCLA
The UCLA Division of Sports Medicine provides a two week elective for second and third year residents interested in gaining more experience in primary care sports medicine and fellowship training. Highlights of the elective experience and requirements are noted below.
Sports Medicine Elective Highlights
Working closely with the UCLA Sports Medicine faculty and fellows in the Departments of Family Medicine and Orthopaedic Surgery in high volume sports medicine clinics and pediatric fracture clinic. Athletic training room experience with Division I collegiate athletes at the UCLA Acosta Athletic Training Center, as well as local high school injury clinics.
Attending weekly multidisciplinary sports medicine didactic sessions with faculty and fellows in primary care sports medicine, as well as orthopaedic surgery, musculoskeletal radiology and physical therapy.
Opportunity to participate in the medical coverage of various athletic events (depending on time of year of rotation).
Assisting with pre-participation physical exams (depending on the time of year of rotation).
Attendance in the UCLA multi-disciplinary sports medicine meeting for the high risk athlete with sport psychology and sports nutrition staff.
- Residents who anticipate applying for sports medicine fellowships are welcome, as well as those wanting to gain more sports medicine experience.
- Residents applying for the elective must be in the fields of family medicine, internal medicine, pediatrics, or emergency medicine.
- A brief statement is requested by the resident that describes their interest in participating in the UCLA sports medicine rotation, including whether or not they are interested in pursuing a sports medicine fellowship.
- Residents must provide a letter of good standing from their residency program director, as well as specification of medical liability coverage during the rotation.
- Availability to rotate during the first or last two weeks of the month (for the majority of months in the year).
Please complete the application form and forward all required documents and information to:
Program Coordinator & Supervisor
Medical Education Office
UCLA Dept. of Family Medicine - Division of Sports Medicine
Applications for the 2022-2023 academic year are currently being accepted on a rolling basis. Applications must be received at least 6 months in advance and selections are made within 2-3 weeks from receipt of all required documents. The UCLA Sports Medicine faculty and fellows look forward to working with you!
Frequently Asked Questions
Housing, transportation, and parking are not provided and will need to be arranged by the resident in advance. A list of nearby accommodations will be provided upon request. The resident is encouraged to have a car for attendance to the various clinics and sports medicine experiences during the rotation.
A white coat for the university clinics is recommended.
Please contact Carole Barrinuevo if you are interested in learning more about the UCLA Sports Medicine elective opportunity.