Dr. May is the director of grants for the Global Health Program at the David Geffen School of Medicine (DGSOM). In this role, she oversees all of GHP's grant programs, including the Global Health Seed Grant and Global Health Travel Grants. Team members in the May Laboratory are engaged in research in global settings to address health inequities. DGSOM medical students also have the opportunity to do electives abroad, participating in health research and healthcare delivery at several international UCLA partner sites, including Thailand, Vietnam, India, China, Mexico, Costa Rica, Peru, Ghana, Malawi, Mozambique, South Africa and Uganda.
Across the globe, the Global Health Program at the David Geffen School of Medicine (DGSOM) works with academic institutions, hospitals, health clinics, government agencies, and non-profit organizations. While each country collaboration is unique, they are all founded in our prioritization of partnership as a model for responsible and sustainable work in medical education, capacity strengthening, health service delivery, and research. We believe that the strongest global health partnerships are those that strive for equity, and we are committed to working with our international colleagues to ensure that our programs are balanced and mutually beneficial.
Dr. May’s past experience in global health includes clinical work and research in Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Mexico, Nigeria, Uganda, Malawi, Tanzania and South Africa.
- Barriers and Facilitators to Reducing Cardiovascular Disease Risk Among Individuals with Hypertension in Nigeria; Janet Adeola and Fiona Obiezu
- Perspectives of Honduran Physicians and Nurses Concerning the Effective Implementation of Foreign Medical Aid Initiatives; Kara Faktor (MD Candidate)
Selected Publications - Full List of May Lab Publications Here
- Faktor KL, Payán DD, Ramirez AJ, May FP. Impact and Sustainability of Foreign Medical Aid: A Qualitative Study with Honduran Healthcare Providers. Ann Glob Health. 2023 Mar 3;89(1):17. doi: 10.5334/aogh.3995. PMID: 36876301; PMCID: PMC9983504
- Yerramilli P, May FP, Kerry VB. Reducing Health Disparities Requires Financing People-Centered Primary Care. JAMA Health Forum. 2021 Feb 1;2(2):e201573. doi: 10.1001/jamahealthforum.2020.1573. PMID: 36218782
- May FP, Anandasabapathy S. Colon cancer in Africa: Primetime for screening? Gastrointest Endosc. 2019 Jun;89(6):1238-1240. doi: 10.1016/j.gie.2019.04.206. PubMed PMID: 31104752
- May FP, Anandasabapathy S. Globalization and Gastroenterology: A Role for Women in the American Gastroenterological Association. Gastroenterology. 2019 Dec 4
- Dong VH, Hoa NT, Minh NXB, Trung NV, May FP, Giang LM, Klausner JD. Antibiotic usage and commensal pharyngeal neisseria of msm in Hanoi, Vietnam. Sex Transm Infect; 93: A52-A5. July 2017