The Tabibian Laboratory takes a collaborative and multi-pronged approach to research centered around the following overarching and interwoven areas of focus:
- Novel techniques, applications, and advances in gastrointestinal and pancreatobiliary endoscopy
- Quality improvement, health disparities, and ethnoracial variations in digestive diseases
- Pathogenesis, diagnosis, treatment, and surveillance of cholangiopathies (e.g. primary sclerosing cholangitis)
- Training the next generation of culturally-competent academic gastroenterologists
- James H. Tabibian, MD, PhD
- Christopher L. Bowlus, MD, FAASLD – UC Davis
- Elizabeth J. Carey, MD, FAASLD - Mayo Clinic Arizona
- Vinay Chandrasekhara, MD – Mayo Clinic Rochester
- Mohit Girotra, MD, FACP – University of Miami Miller School of Medicine
- Christopher J. Gostout, MD, FASGE - Mayo Clinic Rochester (Emeritus)
- Nicholas F. LaRusso, MD, FAASLD, AGAF – Mayo Clinic Rochester
- Keith D. Lindor, MD, FAASLD – Mayo Clinic Arizona and Arizona State University
- Valentina Medici, MD - UC Davis
- Steven P. O'Hara, PhD - Mayo Clinic Rochester
- Júlio Pereira Lima, MD - Universidade Federal de Ciências da Saúde de Porto Alegre, Brasil
- Sooraj Tejaswi, MD, MSPH - UC Davis
- Sachin Wani, MD – University of Colorado
Current Research Projects
- Risk stratification for esophageal variceal screening in cirrhosis - Principal Investigator: James H. Tabibian, MD, PhD
- Predictors of false positive FIT in a safety-net population - Principal Investigator: James H. Tabibian, MD, PhD
- Epidemiology of signet ring cell carcinoma of the stomach: clinical features and outcomes - Principal Investigator: James H. Tabibian, MD, PhD
- The enterohepatic metabolome in primary sclerosing cholangitis
Future Research Directions
Listed below are some of the upcoming research projects and manuscripts (original and review) planned in the Tabibian Laboratory. Trainee-initiated proposals are welcomed.
- Head-to-head, randomized clinical trial of rectal indomethacin vs. intravenous ketorolac for the prevention of post-ERCP pancreatitis
- Clinical epidemiology of inflammatory bowel disease: a Los Angeles County population-based study
- The evolving clinical profile and outcomes of patients with choledocholithiasis
- Preventative care in cholestatic liver disease
Current GI Fellows
- Tien Dong, MD – UCLA
- Armen Eskandari, MD – UC Davis
- Amir Kalani, MD, PhD - UCLA
- Rani Berry, MD– UCLA Internal Medicine Residency Program
- Brian Fung, MD – UCLA-Olive View Internal Medicine Residency Program
- James Han, MD - Department of Medicine Residency Program, UC Irvine
- Long Le, MD – UCLA-Olive View Internal Medicine Residency Program
- Mital Patel, MD – UCLA-Olive View Internal Medicine Residency Program
- Neha Patel, MD – UCLA-Olive View Internal Medicine Residency Program
- Kais Zakharia, MD - Beaumont Health Systems (starting GI fellowship 7/2018 at University of Iowa)
Past GI Fellows
- Moira Hilscher, MD – Mayo Clinic Rochester (going on to transplant hepatology fellowship)
- Mohamad H. Imam, MD – University of Tennessee Health Science Center
Shown here are residents and post-graduate trainees whom were mentored by Dr. Tabibian and have at least one 1st-author national presentation and/or peer-reviewed manuscript:
- Nabeel Azeem, MD – Mayo Clinic Rochester (went on to GI fellowship at UCSF)
- Gururaj Kolar, MD - Mayo Clinic Research Trainee (went on to IM residency in Massachusetts and faculty at Mayo Clinic Mankato)
- Amanda Lynn, MD – Mayo Clinic Rochester (went on to GI fellowship at Mayo Clinic Rochester)
- Kevin P. Quinn, MD – Mayo Clinic Rochester (went on to GI fellowship at Mayo Clinic Rochester)
- Cyril Varghese, MD – Mayo Clinic Rochester (went on to pulmonary/critical care fellowship at Mayo Clinic Rochester)
- Kavel Visrodia, MD – Mayo Clinic Rochester (went on to GI fellowship at Mayo Clinic Rochester)
- Berry R, Han JY, Tabibian JH. Difficult Biliary Cannulation: Historical Perspective, Practical Updates, and Guide for the Endoscopist. World J Gastrintest Endosc. 2019 Jan 16;11(1):5-21. doi: 10.4253/wjge.v11.i1.5.
- Le L, Fung BM, Tabibian JH. Capsule Endoscopy for Refractory Iron Deficiency Anemia in Crohn's Disease: Captivating Pathology, Hybrid Therapy. Gastroenterology. 2018 Jan 31. doi: 10.1053/j.gastro.2018.01.055.
- Fung BM, Kalani A, Tabibian JH. Variceal Hemorrhage With White Nipple Sign Associated With Strangulated Umbilical Hernia in a Patient With Cirrhosis. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2018 Feb 6. doi: 10.1016/j.cgh.2018.01.050.
- Zakharia K, Tabibian A, Lindor KD, Tabibian JH. Complications, Symptoms, Quality of Life, and Pregnancy in Cholestatic Liver Disease. Liver Int. 2017 Sep 18. doi: 10.1111/liv.13591.
- Ali AH, Tabibian JH, Naser-Ghodsi N, Lennon RJ, DeLeon T, Borad MJ, Hilscher M, Silveira MG, Carey EJ, Lindor KD. Surveillance for Hepatobiliary Cancers in Patients with Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis. Hepatology. 2017 Dec 15. doi: 10.1002/hep.29730.
- Hilscher M, Enders FB, Carey EJ, Lindor KD, Tabibian JH. Normalization of Serum Alkaline Phosphatase is a Biomarker of Improved Survival in Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis. Ann Hepatol. 2016 Mar-Apr 2016;15(2):246-253.
- Tabibian JH, Yang J, Baron TH, Kane SV, Enders FB, Gostout CJ. Weekend Admission for Acute Cholangitis Does Not Adversely Impact Endoscopic or Clinical Outcomes. Dig Dis Sci. 2016 Jan;61(1):53-61.
- Tabibian JH, O'Hara SP, Trussoni CE, Tietz PS, Splinter PL, Mounajjed T, Hagey LR, Larusso NF. Absence of the intestinal microbiota exacerbates hepatobiliary disease in a murine model of primary sclerosing cholangitis. Hepatology. 2016 Jan;63(1):185-96.
- Tabibian JH, Visrodia KH, Levy MJ, Gostout CJ. Advanced endoscopic imaging of indeterminate biliary strictures. World J Gastrointest Endosc. 2015 Dec 10;7(18):1268-78.
- Tabibian JH, Macura SI, O'Hara SP, Fidler JL, Glockner JF, Takahashi N, Lowe VJ, Kemp BJ, Mishra PK, Tietz PS, Splinter PL, Trussoni CE, Larusso NF. Micro-computed tomography and nuclear magnetic resonance imaging for noninvasive, live-mouse cholangiography. Lab Invest. 2013 Jun;93(6):733-43.
- Tabibian JH, Weeding E, Jorgensen RA, Petz JA, Keach JC, Talwalkar JA, Lindor KD. Randomised clinical trial: vancomycin or metronidazole in patients with primary sclerosing cholangitis - a pilot study. Aliment. Pharmacol. Ther. 2013 Mar;37(6):604-12.
View a detailed list of Dr. Tabibian's publications indexed in the National MEDLINE database >
- 2018: Mayo Clinic Arizona Small Grants Proposals Fund (1 year, $6,881, NIH impact/priority score 1.7) - “Cost-consequences simulation model of diagnosing cholangiocarcinoma for patients with PSC” - Principle Investigator: Elizabeth J. Carey; Co-Investigators: James H. Tabibian et al.
- 2014 - 2015: AASLD Clinical and Translational Research Award (2 years, $150,000) - “Intestinal permeability and enterohepatic metabolome in primary sclerosing cholangitis” - Principle Investigator: James H. Tabibian
- 2013 - 2014: PSC Partners Seeking a Cure Annual Research Grant (1 year, $30,000) - “Cholangiocyte senescence associated secretory phenotype as a therapeutic target in PSC” - Principle Investigators: James H. Tabibian et al.
- 2011 - 2013: PSC Partners Seeking a Cure Annual Research Grant (2 years, $60,000) - “Potential Role of Cholangiocyte Senescence in PSC” - Principle Investigator: Nicholas F. LaRusso; Co-Investigators: James H. Tabibian et al.
Selected Editorial, Societal, and Leadership Positions
- 2017 - Present: Lead Guest Editor, "Advances in Therapeutic Endoscopy.” Special issue, Gastroenterology Research & Practice
- 2017 - Present: Abstract Reviewer, The Liver Meeting and Digestive Disease Week (DDW), American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases
- 2017 - Present: Section Editor, Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Endoscopy section, Journal of Community Medicine
- 2017 - Present: Editor, Avid Science, eBook “Advanced Endoscopy: At the Cutting Edge of Diagnosis and Therapy"
- 2016: Lead Guest Editor, “Advances in biliary tract disorders: novel biomarkers, pharmacotherapies, endoscopic techniques, and surgical management.” Special issue, Gastroenterology Research & Practice
- 2016 - Present: Scientific and Medical Advisory Board, PSC Partners Seeking a Cure
- 2015 - Present: Associate Editor, Annals of Hepatology (Official journal of the MAH, LAASL, and CASL)
- 2015 - 2017: Board of Directors, PSC Partners Seeking a Cure
- 2015 - 2016: Membership and Diversity Committee member, ASGE
- 2013 - 2015: Editorial Board, Annals of Hepatology
- 2012 - 2016: Editorial Board, Journal of Analytical Oncology
- 2012 - 2014: Associate Editor, Pancreatobiliary diseases section, BMC Gastroenterology