UCLA Health has one of the largest and most experienced international telepathology programs in the world. Our experts use advanced telemedicine technology to remotely review pathology images and consult with medical teams from almost anywhere.
We are committed to improving patient care on a global scale. Our telepathology program helps ensure more patients and medical institutions can benefit from UCLA’s exceptional diagnostic expertise.
What Is Telepathology?
Telepathology is a type of telemedicine that allows doctors to practice pathology at a distance. UCLA doctors use sophisticated telepathology equipment to review pathology samples from medical centers in other cities, countries and continents.
Our Telepathology Expertise
We use the latest telepathology equipment to ensure a prompt review of the most difficult cases. Highlights of our program include:
- World-class telepathology experts: Our telepathology team includes internationally recognized faculty from the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, including Dr. Jianyu Rao and Dr. Corey Arnold. Our doctors have reviewed more than 2,200 international clinical cases since 2015.
- Leading-edge technologies: Our experts use new innovations in high-resolution digital slide imaging and telepathology. Using this technology, we can provide a wide variety of individualized pathology consultation services in the U.S. and around the world.
- International partnerships: UCLA Health pathologists have extensive experience developing international telepathology partnerships from start to finish. Our physicians work closely with organizations and medical institutions outside the U.S. to maximize telepathology’s potential. Together, we help improve patient care while also educating local clinicians about the latest pathology innovations.
Our Comprehensive Telepathology Services
UCLA’s telepathology services help improve diagnosis and treatment and advance education and research. We provide a wide range of individualized pathology consultation services, including second opinion consults. After reviewing a case, our team develops a comprehensive pathology report of our diagnostic and prognostic findings. Partnering with medical teams from other institutions, we work to confirm diagnosis and help guide treatment.
We also offer telepathology services focused on:
- Quality assurance and quality control
- Image handling for tumor boards
- Documentation and storage of cases (particularly outside consults requiring return)
- Annotation of cases for integration with special studies
- Clinician and patient education
Our Telepathology Specialties
The Center for Telepathology and Digital Pathology consults on cases concerning more than a dozen specialties, including:
If you don’t currently have a partner relationship with UCLA Health but would like to benefit from our telepathology or other telemedicine services, please fill out our partner inquiry form.
Translate Our Site
To view this site in another language, select a language below:
日本語 Tiếng Việt
For information of our services in English, Chinese and Arabic, download PDF.