Find your care
Why choose UCLA Health for general neurology?
Our neurologists provide comprehensive care for a full range of problems affecting the brain, spinal cord and nerves (central and peripheral nervous systems). We offer thorough, personalized evaluation and treatment at one of the nation’s top academic neurology departments. General neurologists receive referrals from primary care providers and offer second opinions.
Additional highlights of general neurology include:
- Team approach: Our general neurologists work with other specialists to ensure each patient receives targeted care. Our team may include specialists from neuroradiology, neurosurgery, neurorehabilitation, neuropsychology and other neurology subspecialties.
- Access to subspecialty clinics: We refer patients with complex or advanced diagnoses to our subspecialty clinics. Our neurologists lead a spectrum of disease-specific programs to offer patients more advanced, specialized care.
- Research focus: Because of our emphasis on research, patients have access to additional treatment options. Our neurologists continually learn and implement the latest treatment techniques. Eligible patients may also benefit from promising new treatments by participating in clinical trials.
Neurological disorders we treat
Our general neurologists treat an array of neurological conditions, including:
- Concussion: This type of traumatic brain injury (TBI) occurs because of a blow or jolt to the head.
- Neck and back pain: Often, neck and back pain occur because of spine issues, such as a misaligned vertebra, slipped (herniated) disc or compressed nerve.
- Neuropathy: This type of nerve damage causes tingling, numbness and weakness, often in the hands or feet.
- Vertigo: Vertigo causes dizzy spells or feelings of being off-balance. It’s sometimes caused by a condition called benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV).
We also have a range of disease-specific programs and clinics. Patients with these disorders may receive treatment through those clinics or from a general neurologist. Conditions include:
Treatments general neurologists offer
General neurologists offer a spectrum of neurology treatments, including:
- Medication: Neurologists can prescribe medications to treat conditions such as migraines, seizures, pain or vertigo. We can adjust doses or recommend different medications to ensure each patient experiences optimal results.
- Injections: We may use steroid injections to decrease inflammation and reduce neck and back pain. We may use botulinum toxin (Botox®) injections to treat migraines, muscle spasms and movement disorders.
- Nerve stimulator devices: We can implant a small device that sends low-dose electrical signals to specific spinal or peripheral nerves. These signals disrupt certain nerve messages traveling to the brain and may reduce pain or muscle spasms.
General neurologists also may refer patients to other subspecialists as needed. For example, we may work with neurosurgeons if you need surgery or a behavioral neurologist if you have an uncommon neurocognitive disorder. We tailor treatment plans to each patient’s specific needs.
Meet our team
The general neurologists at UCLA Health diagnose and treat a wide range of neurological conditions. Our personalized, patient-centered care approach focuses on each patient’s specific needs.