Find your care
Is this your symptom?
- A foreign object becomes stuck in the eye
- The main symptoms are irritation, pain, tearing, and blinking
- Objects (foreign bodies) that get into the eye need to be removed. They can damage the eye. Sometimes a doctor will need to remove the object.
- Common things that get into the eye are eyelashes or a piece of dried mucus. Sand, dirt, sawdust, or grit can be blown into the eyes. Tree and plant pollen can also get blown into the eyes.
- A contact lens cannot go behind the eyeball. It can sometimes get hidden under the upper or lower eyelid.
- Avoid rubbing the eye. This can lead to the foreign object scratching the cornea. This is the clear part in the middle of the eye.