Find your care
Our team offers a wide range of outpatient care options. To learn more about our psychiatry services, call 800-825-9989 or 310-825-9989.
The Women's Life Center at The David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA is an outpatient program devoted to assessing and treating women with psychiatric conditions associated with hormonal challenges and reproductive life events.
The Women's Life Center at the UCLA Semel Institute and Resnick Neuropsychiatric Hospital offers a supportive and effective approach to mental health. Reasons for consultation include:
- Pre-pregnancy consultations for psychiatric conditions that require assessment and treatment, including recommendations on the use of psychiatric medications during pregnancy
- Psychiatric disorders associated with pregnancy and postpartum (including recommendations on the use of medications while breast-feeding)
- Emotional conditions arising from miscarriage and pregnancy loss
- Assisted reproductive technology
- Premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD) and premenstrual syndrome (PMS)
- Perimenopausal mood and anxiety disorders
The Center's expert interdisciplinary staff recognize that helping women deal successfully with emotional conditions associated with hormonal challenges and reproductive life events requires a flexible, supportive approach customized to the needs of each patient.
Treatments offered include consultation, short-term psychotherapy, and medication management. All consultations, evaluations, and treatments at the Center are performed by a faculty of professionals with expertise in women's mental health. Patients are seen by a senior psychiatric resident or fellow and an experienced faculty reproductive psychiatrist.
Members of the staff of the Women's Life Center include psychiatrists, psychologists and social workers. In order to provide comprehensive health care and clinical consultation, the Women's Life Center staff works closely with referring clinicians from the numerous specialties, including:
- Family Medicine
- General Internal Medicine
- Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Reproductive Endocrinology
- Mental Health (psychiatry, psychology, social work, etc.)
Who We See
We predominantly see adults who identify as female. We also offer consultations or ongoing care for any individuals regardless of gender identity who are either pregnant or who have questions regarding reproductive-related mental health issues. Patients are seen prior to pregnancy, during pregnancy, postpartum, during fertility treatments, after miscarriage or pregnancy loss, during the menopausal transition, and while experiencing mood changes related to the premenstrual period.
Meet the Team
The Women’s Life Center is led by Vivien Burt, M.D., Ph.D. and Erin Murphy-Barzilay, M.D. as Co-Directors and Katie Unverferth, M.D. as Associate Director.
Wednesdays 12:30 p.m. -3:30 p.m.