Resources and Educational Material
Here you will find Valuable information to assist you in caring for Palliative and Hospice patients of all ages and offering guidance to those caring for them throughout their disease processes.
Some of the links below are PDFs. You will need acrobat reader to open them.
Advance Care Planning/Communication
Decision Making Assistance
- Artificial Nutrition And Hydration at the End of Life
- CPR: A Guide for Decision Making. Answers common questions about what CPR involves and important things to think about when making a decision about CPR.
- Decisions. Six bulletins on end-of-life topics, including the changing role of medicine and the changing view of death, quality of life, communicating decisions with loved ones, communication tools, partnering with your doctor, and living and dying in a caring community.
- If you or someone you love is very ill: Ask tough questions. Important questions to ask your doctor, health care agent, lawyer, loved ones, spiritual caregiver, and social worker.
- Patient/Family Teaching Sheets. From Hospice and Palliative Nurses Association.
- Tube Feeding: A Guide for Decision Making. Answers common questions about feeding tubes, their benefits and risks, and who is and is not helped by feeding tubes.
Physician Orders for Life-Sustaining Treatment (POLST)
- Suggestions for End-of-Life Symptom Management (Adult)
Pain Assessment Scales
- Face, Legs, Activity, Cry, Consolability scale - Validated in children between 2 mos-7yrs, individuals that are unable to communicate their pain.
- Neonatal Pain, Agitation, & Sedation Scale (NPASS) - For use in pre-term and term neonates.
- Numeric Rating Scale (NRS) - For use with individuals who can point to or state the number that reflects their current pain level.
- Pain Assessment in Advanced Dementia Scale (PAINAD) - Validated in older adults with dementia or cognitive impairment who are unable to reliably communicate their pain.
- Pain Assessment Tool for Non-Cognizant Adults
- Verbal Descriptor Scale (Pain Thermometer) - For use with any patient, especially those with moderate to severe cognitive impairment.
- Wong-Baker FACES Pain Rating Scale - For children over the age of 3 who can point to the face that reflects their current pain level.
- CancerPEN Open Modules - Educational modules on cancer palliation, including artificial nutrition/hydration, survivorship, anxiety and depression, and bereavement.
- Care at the Close of Life: Evidence and Experience - Journal of the American Medical Association educational guide with many end-of-life topics.
- Center for Palliative Care Education - Educational resource center and training program for HIV/AIDS Palliative Care.
- Complimentary E-Learning Courses Offered for Hospice and Palliative Medicine Fellows - Center to Advance Palliative Care.
- Continuing Education Curriculum for Hospice and Palliative Care Physicians - Resources for physicians from the American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine.
- Education in Palliative and End-of-Life Care - Education for all health care professionals in the essential competencies of Palliative Care.
- Educational Modules for the Critical Care Communication (C3) Course - 7 learning modules covering fundamental communication skills, giving bad news, determining goals of care, resuscitation preferences, holding a family conference, discussing the dying process, and navigating conflict.
- End-Of-Life Issues - Ten modules from the American Psychological Association on topics including psychological distress, pain management, cognitive disorders, grief and bereavement, religious/spiritual issues, family caregiving, teamwork, legal/ethical, and advance care planning.
- End-of-Life Nursing Education Consortium (ELNEC) - National education initiative to improve palliative care by training nurses in palliative care.
- End of Life Online Curriculum - 9 modules from Stanford on dyspnea, Hospice, opioid conversion, prognostication, transition to death, palliative sedation, communication, and bereavement.
- End of Life/Palliative Education Resource Center - Fast facts on almost 300 topics, educational materials, and research.
- EthnoMed End of Life Clinical Topics - Cultural considerations in end-of-life care.
- IPPC Curriculum - Free online education about pediatric Palliative Care.
- LearnICU: Ethics & End of Life - Educational resources from the Society of Critical Care Medicine.
- National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization (NHPCO) Educational Calendar - Educational offerings of the NHPCO.
- NHPCO Webinars - Interdisciplinary topics 2nd Thursday of each month, quality/regulatory topics 4th Tuesdays of each month.
- Self Assessment: Palliative and End-of-Life Care - Test your knowledge of palliative care with this tool from the American Association of Critical-Care Nurses (AACN).
- Training and Education - List of educational offerings from the Center to Advance Palliative Care.