Health Science Clinical Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology and Urology, Chief of Urogynecology in OBGYN. Dr. Tarnay is Co-Director of the Center for Women’s Pelvic Health. Dr. Tarnay completed his medical degree at Georgetown University School of Medicine, Obstetrics & Gynecology residency at UCLA School of Medicine and then completed fellowship in Urogynecology & Reconstructive Pelvic Surgery at Harbor - UCLA Medical Center. He is the Associate Program Director for the Fellowship in FPMRS and past Chief of Staff for the Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center.
Dr. Tarnay started the Division of Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery at UCLA in the department of Obstetrics and Gynecology. He is an expert in robotic and minimally invasive surgery for prolapse and incontinence. He takes pride in balancing both conservative medical and surgical therapies for urinary incontinence, pelvic organ prolapse, and bladder dysfunction. He believes in holistic care when approaching a patient’s pelvic floor conditions and making sure all options are offered and explained.
Dr. Tarnay is skilled in urogenital fistula care and through his volunteer work abroad he continues to lead efforts to reduce the suffering of women and mothers from fistula in the developing world through a sustainable program of service and education.
Medical Board Certifications
Areas of Focus
- Outcomes of vaginal reparative surgery and urinary incontinence
- Minimally-invasive surgical techniques
- Surgical care for obstetrical fistula
- Use of simulation in surgical training for medical students and residents
In the News
- UCLA team helps create facility for Ugandan women who suffered childbirth injuries (UCLA Newsroom)
- UCLA team travels to Uganda to treat patients with obstetric fistula (DailyBruin)
- Helping Women in Africa Suffering From the Most Heartbreaking Condition You've Never Heard of, Fistula (Huffington Post)
- Malibu Doctors Making a Difference featuring Dr. Chris Tarnay (Story courtesy of Leslie Wade/Malibu Times Magazine)
- Southern California, Super Doctors®, 2010-2024
- Top Doctors, Los Angeles Magazine, 2018 - 2023
- The Serge & Yvette Dadone Clinical Teaching Award for UCLA School of Medicine, 2014
- APGO Excellence in Teaching Award. Association of Professors of Gynecology and Obstetrics, 2010