Obstetrics and Gynecology (OB/GYN)
Our healthcare providers specialize in everything from routine prenatal care and labor and delivery to high-risk pregnancies and treatments for complex gynecological conditions.
Why choose UCLA Health for obstetrics and gynecology?
We have a long tradition of excellence in women's health care. Our OB/GYN team of expert healthcare providers offers the full spectrum of services and treatments. We provide routine obstetrics and gynecology as well as advanced care for complex conditions. Highlights of our program include:
Clinical trials and research: We are pioneers in OB/GYN research. Our groundbreaking research and life-changing clinical trials have helped women with a wide range of conditions, from fertility concerns to cancer. We advance research that improves our patients’ lives.
Comprehensive childbirth centers: We understand that each birthing experience is unique and special. At our two BirthPlace locations, we offer family-centered care, private rooms and access to the full range of specialty services. Our obstetricians (OBs) and certified nurse midwives deliver compassionate care at these birthing centers, which offer some of the most comprehensive services in Southern California.
Innovative treatments: As leaders in next-generation care, we offer less-invasive and nonsurgical options for fibroids, cancer and other conditions. Our sophisticated robotic surgery techniques require fewer incisions and less recovery time. You can rest easy knowing that you’re getting the most advanced treatments from our team of experts.
Leading high-risk care: The UCLA Health Maternal Fetal Medicine Program provides world-class care to women with high-risk pregnancies. If you need advanced care, you’ll have a team of highly trained specialists. We’re devoted to the health and well-being of both you and your baby.
Specialized clinical programs: We have many programs to meet the needs of our patients. These programs focus on pelvic floor health, fertility, fibroids, gestational diabetes and more.
Recognized team of experts: Our exceptional providers have consistently been recognized as “Top Doctors” by Los Angeles magazine. Our award-winning experts lead the nation in research, transformative treatments and patient-centered care.
Whole-person approach: Our experts focus on the physical and mental health of our patients. Our Maternal Outpatient Mental Health Services (MOMS) clinic helps women during and after pregnancy, when they may be more likely to struggle emotionally. We provide mental health assessments and compassionate help during this vulnerable time.
Our areas of obstetrics and gynecology care
Our nationally recognized experts deliver world-class OB/GYN care, whether you need a routine exam, treatment of complicated problems or a surgical procedure. You can count on UCLA Health for excellence in:
We offer the full range of gynecological care and treatments, including:
Gynecology: From routine checkups to complex gynecological conditions, you’ll receive excellent preventive care and treatments from our expert gynecologists (GYNs).
Gynecologic cancer care: We provide treatments for gynecologic cancers using innovative technology, including minimally invasive robotic surgery. We also care for women who have a higher risk of gynecologic cancer based on their family history.
Family planning: Our obstetricians offer contraceptive counseling, pregnancy options counseling and management, and counseling for women with complex medical histories. Our team also offers outreach, education and information to members of our community.
Menopause Care: Our expert team of certified menopause providers and collaborating specialists provide comprehensive, evidence-based and individualized care for persons going through and in menopause.
Minimally invasive and robotic surgery: Our specialists are dedicated to utilizing innovative and safe surgical techniques, including vaginal, robotic, hysteroscopic, and laparoscopic surgery, to handle gynecological surgeries for patients with complex issues.
Pelvic health care: Our physicians specialize in pelvic medicine and advanced reconstructive surgery to treat a wide range of pelvic floor disorders and conditions. This multidisciplinary team includes the expertise of urogynecologists and urologists who offer comprehensive treatment in a caring environment.
We care for women before, during and after delivery, focusing on the physical and emotional well-being of our patients. Our services include:
Fertility and reproductive health: Our specialists treat problems related to infertility, including preconception care, assisted reproductive technology, prenatal care, miscarriage, endometriosis and menstruation abnormalities. We also provide genetic counseling and support for people who want to assess the risk of passing an inherited condition to their children.
Prenatal care, labor and delivery: Our doctors and certified nurse midwives provide personalized, comprehensive care for routine and high-risk pregnancies and deliveries. Specialists in maternal fetal medicine, reproductive medicine and other specialties see women with more complex needs.
Conditions we treat
We treat all types of gynecological and obstetrical conditions using the latest advances and proven treatments. Some of the most common conditions we treat include:
If you need preventive services, minor gynecological care or advanced treatment for a chronic condition, our GYN experts are here for you. We treat conditions such as:
- Cancer, including cervical cancer, ovarian cancer, uterine/endometrial cancer and vaginal cancer
- Conditions affecting the uterus, such as fibroids (uterine growths) and endometriosis (abnormal tissue growth outside the uterus)
- Infections such as urinary tract infections (UTIs), sexually transmitted infections (STIs) and yeast infections
- Ovarian cysts and polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS)
- Pelvic floor disorders, incontinence and urinary problems
- Premenstrual syndrome (PMS), early menopause and menopause
- Vulvodynia (chronic pain in the vulva) and painful sex
We’re by your side throughout your entire pregnancy journey, from prenatal planning to postpartum care. If you need advanced treatments before or during pregnancy, our OBs have experience with common and complex pregnancy conditions, including:
- Anemia (low red blood cell count)
- High-risk pregnancies due to gestational diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, obesity, pregnancies of multiples and more
- Hyperemesis gravidarum (severe morning sickness)
- Infectious disease during pregnancy, including sexually transmitted diseases (STD)
- Infertility, miscarriage and recurrent pregnancy loss
- Problems with the placenta or cervix, including placenta previa (the placenta partially or fully covers the cervix), placental abruption (the placenta pulls away from the uterine wall) and cervical insufficiency (the cervix opens too early during pregnancy, leading to preterm birth)
- Preeclampsia and preterm labor
OB/GYN treatments we offer
We are here for you whether you need routine screenings or help with a complicated condition. Our treatments include:
We help our patients prevent, treat and manage a wide variety of gynecological conditions and disorders. We offer services such as:
- Annual pelvic exams, Pap smears and breast cancer screenings
- Birth control and family planning
- Nonsurgical and less-invasive treatments for conditions such as polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS), irregular bleeding and endometriosis
- Minimally invasive robotic surgery for gynecological cancers, fibroids and cervical conditions
- Testing and treatment for STIs
- Treatments for urinary tract infections, yeast infections and other vaginal infections
As leaders in prenatal care, we offer everything from regular checkups to advanced treatments. We’re by your side throughout your pregnancy, labor, delivery and postpartum period. OB treatments include:
- Advanced care through our Maternal Fetal Medicine Program
- Fertility consultation and treatments
- Prenatal checkups and testing
- Pain management throughout labor and delivery
- Emergency delivery options and expert postnatal care for you and your baby
- Postpartum services, including pelvic floor rehab, emotional support and care following delivery
- Specialized care for complex prenatal conditions and high-risk pregnancies
Our team includes recognized leaders in obstetrics and gynecology. Our doctors, nurses, nurse midwives, anesthesiologists and urogynecologists deliver outstanding care. Whether you need routine checkups or advanced treatments for serious conditions, we can help.