New and Noteworthy
Learn about our faculty and trainees who have recently been recognized for excellence in clinical care, research, teaching and leadership.
Honors, Awards and Appointments
Aparna Murali, MS, CGC, genetic counselor, was awarded the UCLA Genetic Counseling Graduate Program Award for Excellence in Teaching. Annually, the UCLA M.S. in Genetic Counseling Program leadership celebrate and acknowledge excellence and contributions to the graduate program and to the discipline and practice of genetic counseling.
Aparna Sridhar, MD, MPH, Associate Professor of Clinical Obstetrics and Gynecology, is a working group member on the World Health Organization (WHO) Family Planning Accelerator Plus Project.
Beth Karlan, MD, Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology, co-chaired a National Cancer Policy Forum webinar on “The Impact of the Dobbs Decision on Cancer Care.” She is also serving on the organizing committee for the upcoming webinars in the series.
Society Awards for our Residents
AAGL Honorary Resident in Minimally Invasive Gynecology - Alex Francoeur, MD
Ryan Program Resident Award for Excellence in Family Planning – Delaney Scollan, MD
SGO Outstanding Resident in Gynecologic Oncology – Michael Richardson, MD
SMFM Residency Program Award for Excellence in Obstetrics - Michael Richardson, MD
SREI Resident Award for Excellence in REI - Michael Richardson, MD
Society Awards for our Faculty
APGO Humanism in Teaching Award – Aparna Sridhar, MD, MPH
APGO Excellence in Teaching Award – Eliza Debow, MD
CREOG National Faculty Award for Excellence in Resident Education – Jacqueline Fahey, MD
William J. Dignam Award for Excellence in Obstetrics and Gynecology – Alma Lopez, MD
Olive View Medical Center Larry Evertson Award – Alex Gould, MD
Fellow Teaching Award – Kathryn Goldrath, MD
Outstanding Resident Research Award – Christopher Douglas, MD
Excellence in Ambulatory Care - Demetra Hufnagel, MD
Outstanding Medical Student Educator – Jamie Temko, MD
Faculty Teaching Award - Outstanding Medical Student Teaching:
Eliza DeBow, MD, Jacqueline Fahey, MD, Lisa Garcia, MD, Carolyn Haunschild, MD, Kirsten Jensen, MD, Kiran Kavipurapu, MD, Lydia Lo, MD, Sukrant Mehta, MD, Masaru Negi, MD, Erica Oberman, MD, Ram Parvataneni, MD, Ramneek Rana, MD, Radhika Rible, MD, Brianne Romeroso, MD, Kelsey Rose, MD, Aparna Sridhar, MD, Mya Zapata, MD, Molly Zielenbach, MD
Faculty Teaching Award - Outstanding Resident Teaching:
Eliza DeBow, MD, Jacqueline Fahey, MD, Lisa Garcia, MD, Michelle Han, MD, Carolyn Haunschild, MD, Christine Holschneider, MD, Tiffany Lai, MD, Lydia Lo, MD, Sukrant Mehta, MD, Ohmar Myint, MD, Masaru Negi, MD, Ram Parvataneni, MD, Ilina Pluym, MD, Radhika Rible, MD, Kelsey Rose, MD, Amy Rosenman, MD, Aparna Sridhar, MD, Amy Stoddard, MD, Joyce Sutedja, MD, Christopher Tarnay, MD, Cecilia Wieslander, MD, Molly Zielenbach, MD
Aparna Sridhar, MD, MPH, Associate Professor of Clinical Obstetrics and Gynecology, received a $60,000 grant from the Gates Foundation to study the mapping of contraception related projects at the International Federation of Gynecology and Obstetrics.
Christine Burke, MD, FPMRS fellow, received an AUGS Foundation Fellow Research Award for her project “Characterizing Sleep and Nocturia Patterns in Women with and Without Overactive Bladder.” The AUGS Foundation, formerly known as the PFD Research Foundation, supports promising, innovative research regarding the causes, prevention, cure and treatment of pelvic floor disorders.
Martins Ayoola-Adeola, MD, gynecologic oncology fellow, received a Jonsson Comprehenisve Cancer Center Fellowship Award for his project entitled, “Perioperative Nanotherapy for Ovarian Cancer,” focusing on mitigating the unwanted effects of surgery-induced peritoneal injury, particularly in ovarian cancer patients.
Dana Chase, MD, Associate Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology, presented “Quality-Adjusted Time Without Symptoms of Disease or Toxicity in Patients with Primary Advanced or Recurrent Endometrial Cancer Treated with Dostarlimab plus Carboplatin-Paclitaxel Versus Carboplatin-Paclitaxel in the ENGOT-EN6/GOG-3031/RUBY Trial” at the European Society for Gynecologic Oncology (ESGO) 2023 in Istanbul, Turkey.
Carla Janzen, MD, PhD, Health Sciences Associate Clinical Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology, gave the following presentations:
- Preterm Labor and Complications of Pregnancy. UCLA DGSOM First Year Scientific Foundations of Medicine Large Group, 2023.
- The Placenta. UCLA DGSOM First Year Scientific Foundations of Medicine Lecture, 2023.
- Adverse Pregnancy Outcomes. UCLA DGSOM First Year Scientific Foundations of Medicine Case Based Learning Lecture, 2023.
Aparna Sridhar, MD, MPH, Associate Professor of Clinical Obstetrics and Gynecology, gave the following global health presentations:
- Contraception Worldwide: An Overview: Webinar on World Population Day July 11, 2023 hosted by FOGSI
- Pearls in Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology: Presented at Mysore Adolescent Health Academy, India
- Moderator Family Planning Service Discussion at the FOGSI -FIGO International Conference on Women’s Health, July 16th, 2023 in Hyderabad, India.
- Maternal Health and Family Planning Integration: Obstetrician’s Perspective – Presented at a convening aimed at “Revitalizing and Scaling up Postpartum and Postabortion Family Planning within the Universal Health Coverage” held at Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania
- International Academic Webinar on Preeclampsia Updates: Organized by Karnataka College of Obstetrics and Gynecology and ARTIST.
- Stronger Together: Collaboration of Family Planning 2030, FIGO, UNFPA and International Confederation of Midwives held in Cape Town, South Africa and organized by the Global Summit on Family Planning.
- Moderator: FIGO 2023: Strategies to Enhance Global Voice of Women’s Health- Presentation at ACOG Annual Clinical and Scientific Meeting in Baltimore, MD.
- Speaker at XXIV FIGO World Congress of Gynecology and Obstetrics in Porte de Versailles in Paris, France.