Legacy for Children™ strongly supports the belief that all children deserve an opportunity to reach their full potential. In order to foster each child's development, Legacy for Children™ promotes optimal child outcomes by enhancing each mother's positive feelings and confidence in her parenting abilities.
Legacy for Children™ is rooted in the belief that:
- Parental self-efficacy helps mothers understand that their behaviors can positively influence the development of their children.
- All parents can successfully parent, regardless of their current life circumstances, if given the opportunity to improve their parenting knowledge and their parenting behaviors.
- Parents do a better job of adopting and maintaining behaviors that enhance their child's development if they receive ongoing support from a peer group and are able to develop a sense of belonging to a community larger than themselves.
- The Legacy for Children™ philosophy recognizes that improving parenting knowledge and parenting behaviors requires time and is an active process.
Goals of Training
The Legacy for Children™ UCLA training is designed to address the following goals:
- To support parental responsibility, parental investment, and parental devotion of time and energy
- To support responsive, sensitive parent-child relationships
- To support mothers' effectiveness in guiding their children's behavioral and emotional regulation
- To support mothers' facilitation of their children's verbal and cognitive development
- To promote mothers' sense of community