Who & What?
We are looking for men and women interested in contributing to the development of young boys & girls. Our overall goal is to improve education outcomes for youth while improving volunteer health outcomes.
As a volunteer you will be participating in a volunteer program that brings retired adults into K-3 classrooms to help children achieve academic success.
Why It Matters
As a Gen-X volunteer, you will be able to make a positive impact on the lives and education of our youth, while also potentially improving your own health!
- Studies have shown that mentored youth are 52% more likely to stay in school and also complete more homework assignments than youth without mentors
- Nearly 25% of chronically underperforming schools are located in South Los Angeles – our program's target area
- On average 40% of youth attending schools in our target area are in foster care or kinship care and need positive adult role models.
- 1 in 6 children who are not reading proficiently by 3rd grade fail to graduate from high school on time.
- Private prison systems use 3rd grade testing score results to determine how many new beds they will need.