Find your care
Our expert interventional endoscopy team includes skilled physicians who perform minimally invasive endoscopic procedures to treat GI disorders. Call 310-825-2631 to connect with a specialist.
Obesity management is not one-size-fits-all
The bariatric endoscopy team at UCLA is committed to an individualized approach to weight loss, working in collaboration with the UCLA Center for Obesity and METabolic Health (COMET) and the UCLA Center for Human Nutrition, to help you reach your weight loss goals. Together, with our team of expert bariatric surgeons, medical weight loss providers, dietitians, psychologists, nurses, and other healthcare professionals, we work with you to explore which weight loss options are best for you.
At UCLA, these options include bariatric endoscopy procedures, which are newer and less invasive techniques that require no skin incisions - meaning no scars and a faster recovery. In appropriately selected patients, these procedures are safe and have a high rate of success in promoting weight loss as part of an overall weight management program.
Is this procedure right for you?
Endoscopic bariatric procedures may be suitable for patients who do not qualify for traditional bariatric surgery. This includes the large number of people with mild or moderate or obesity who nevertheless experience health problems linked to excess weight. This may also include patients who have regained weight after a prior bariatric surgery.
For example, you may be a good candidate for an endoscopic weight loss procedure if you have:
- A BMI of less than 40 without other medical problems
- A BMI of 30-35 with high blood pressure, high cholesterol/triglycerides, type 2 diabetes, or sleep apnea
- Regained weight after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery
Endoscopic procedures we offer
- Endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty (ESG)
- An endoscopic procedure that is used to recreate the anatomy of a surgical vertical sleeve gastrectomy (VSG), serving as an incisionless option for some patients.
- Gastric bypass revision / Transoral outlet reduction (TORe)
- An endoscopic procedure designed to help address weight regain in people who have previously undergone Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery. Gastric bypass revision surgery can jump-start the weight loss process.
What to expect during a visit
One of our expert bariatric endoscopy physicians will carefully review your medical history and weight-loss goals. Your provider will then discuss weight-loss options which may be appropriate for you, including bariatric endoscopy procedures and/or bariatric surgery. We will also arrange for you to meet our multidisciplinary team in COMET and/or the Center for Human Nutrition as part of our comprehensive, individualized approach to weight loss.
We will also provide you with information about paying for your weight management program and procedure, including whether insurance coverage is an option.
We work in collaboration with multidisciplinary teams from:
Video - Minimally invasive treatment options for obesity and weight gain after bariatric surgery