Find your care
Our team offers a wide range of outpatient care options. To learn more about our psychiatry services, call 800-825-9989 or 310-825-9989.
The UCLA Children’s Friendship Program, is an evidence-based, 12-week social skills program, that helps elementary school children who have trouble making or keeping friends learn new social skills through behavioral rehearsal and exposure. Sessions are led by licensed clinical psychologists.
Your child is likely to benefit from the program if he or she:
- Has no friends or few friends
- Is bossy, controlling, or aggressive with other children
- Is shy, reserved, or inattentive with other children
- Has trouble sharing or resolving conflicts
- Is ignored, rejected, or bullied by other children
- Is rarely invited to birthday parties or play dates
During each small-group session, children learn a new skill and practice it with other group members. Children are given weekly assignments to help them apply the new skills in their daily lives. Meanwhile, parents learn how to support their children’s social development, coaching them as they practice their skills in the real world.
Your child will learn these skills:
- Making a good first impression
- Conversing with other children
- Finding common interests with other children
- Playing fairly and being gracious when winning or losing
- Resolving conflicts
- Handling rejection, teasing, and bullying
- Joining other children at play
- Being a good host on a playdate
- Showing respect to other children and adults
Cost and Insurance
We accept many types of insurance. Our programs are billed as outpatient group therapy sessions. Please call or email us for more information about insurance coverage and fees.
Who We See
- Children in 2nd through 5th grades and their parents/caregivers
- First grade policy: 7 year old, 1st graders may be accepted into the program starting April of their 1st grade year*
*One consistent parent is required to attend sessions with their child
Wednesday and Thursday from 12:00 pm to 8:30 pm
Children’s Friendship Group Classes
5:45 pm to 6:45 pm (2nd and 3rd graders)
7:00 pm to 8:00 pm (4th and 5th graders)
Duration of group
Meets once a week for 12 weeks
To schedule an appointment, please call 310-825-0142.
Address: 760 Westwood Plaza, Room 27-384 Los Angeles, CA 90095
Email: [email protected]