Find your care
Our bariatric surgeons use a range of treatments to help you reach weight loss goals and optimize your health. To learn more, call 310-825-7163.
Dining out can be challenging after weight-loss surgery and many people avoid going to restaurants to prevent overeating or eating the wrong foods. Since dining out is a normal part of life for many, we recommend that you not avoid eating out but instead educate yourself and choose your foods wisely.
The following strategies will assist you in making the healthiest food decisions so you can leave the restaurant feeling light and satisfied rather than heavy and guilty.
- Check the calories of every meal. Most restaurants can provide you with the calorie content of every dish they serve.
- Ask that bread and butter not be served at your table.
- Choose a dish with lean protein such as fish, chicken or turkey.
- Choose a side of complex carbohydrate such as yams or whole wheat pasta, with a side green salad or steamed or grilled vegetables.
- Ask how the food is prepared and avoid items that are fried, pan-fried or breaded.
- Choose foods that are baked, broiled, grilled or roasted.
- Share your main course or request a to-go container with your food and, before you begin eating, portion out your food to approximately: 3 oz protein, ¼ cup complex carbohydrate and ½ cup vegetables. If this portion is too much, eat until you feel satisfied and add the leftovers to your to-go container.
- Eat slowly and chew your food to a liquid consistency. To help you accomplish this, it is best to set your utensils down between bites.
- Don't drink with your meals since liquids may push food down and allow you to fit more food in your pouch. It is best to avoid liquids 15 minutes before and 30 minutes after a meal.
- Prior to choosing the restaurant it is always a good idea to look up the menu and nutrition facts on-line.
I hope that you find these strategies helpful and that you enjoy your next dining-out experience. And remember, it is best to do everything in moderation.
To schedule a consultation with UCLA Bariatric Surgery in Los Angeles, California, call us at 310-825-7163 or fill out our online form.
For a physician referral, please call (800) UCLA-MD1 (825-2631).
*Weight loss results can vary depending on the individual. There is no guarantee of specific results. Read full disclaimer.