Patient Family Advisory Council
What is the Patient Family Advisory Council?
The Patient Family Advisory Council (PFAC) enables current and former patients to offer their input and perspective to uncover barriers that negatively impact the patient experience. As part of the care team, patients and their families offer unique perspectives and valuable feedback regarding the standard of care they receive.
Create the best patient experience by forging partnerships between UCLA Santa Monica Medical Center and those we serve to foster dialogue, feedback and community engagement.
- Identify opportunities for process improvement and program development that will benefit patients/family members
- Strengthen patient and family centered care through initiatives that provide comfort, information, advocacy tools, new ideas and resources to patients/family members
- Improve the quality of care through informative discussions with UCLAMCSM administration and staff
- Promote better communication between staff and patients/family members
- To be solution oriented, improve clinical outcomes, and increase satisfaction, quality and safety of care
- Improve the overall patient/family member experience
Patient and family advisors offer input into patient care, organizational processes, and advocate patient and family needs at all levels of the health system. As a patient or family advisor, you will be partnering with other patients and family members, health care providers, and staff to raise issues, communicate patient and family concerns and help with problem solving, with the goal of improving the patient experience. When patient and family volunteers work together with UCLA Santa Monica Medical Center staff, the health care experience can be improved for everyone. If you are looking for ways to draw on your personal experiences at UCLA Santa Monica Medical Center and to contribute to the greater good by helping to improve the quality of care, this program will provide an excellent opportunity for you.
Member Requirements and Commitments
- Members can be any patient or family member of a patient who has used UCLAMCSM for care
- Members agree to fulfill the responsibility of representing all families within UCLAMCSM, putting personal agendas aside
- Members must commit to attend monthly 1 ½ hour meetings, scheduled from 5:00 pm to 6:30 pm one weeknight each month, to be designated by the Council. In the interest of creating cohesion and continued progress, members are encouraged to attend all meetings
- Members must commit to not miss more than 2 meetings per calendar year, unless special circumstances apply (i.e. ill family member or personal illness)
Terms will be one year in length, with the option to renew for all patients/family members who continue to contribute to the Council’s goals and objectives. Members wanting to renew for the next year must actively submit their request to the Chairperson within 30 days of the final meeting per calendar year.
Download Application (PDF)
- Potential member should submits application via email to SMHPFAC@mednet.ucla.edu or via US mail to:
UCLA Santa Monica Medical Center
Attention: Hospital Administration
1225 15th Street
Santa Monica, CA 90404
- Applicants will be notified their application was received and is in review
- After review, applicants will be notified of an interview to be scheduled in late June
- Applicants will be notified of acceptance or non-acceptance to the committee
- Selected new members must complete live scan clearance (facilitated by UCLA Santa Monica Volunteer Services Department) at UCLA Health Human Resources and an online self-orientation
Orientation for current PFAC Members
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for information.
SM PFAC Member Orientation