Welcome, Future Healthcare Professional!
The Care Extender Program offers a unique opportunity for volunteers to gain clinical experience and interact with patients, providing a firsthand understanding of the role of healthcare providers. As a Care Extender, you will have the chance to volunteer in various departments throughout the medical centers, assisting medical staff and gaining an insider's understanding of hospital operations.
Our program is highly respected, and Care Extenders are viewed as professional members of the patient care team. Through this program, you will gain invaluable "in-the-trenches" experience in a real hospital setting, which will help you determine your specific course for future studies in healthcare.
Many of our volunteers have found that working as a Care Extender has opened their eyes to the vast range of opportunities available in medical careers. One of our Care Extenders, Kendra Beckin, shares, "Labor and Delivery was such a powerful experience for me. It doesn't matter how many biology or physiology classes you take; they just can't prepare you for the experiences I've had since joining this program. The commitment I made to this program is the smartest decision I've made in my college career."
Join our program today and gain the clinical experience you need to jumpstart your career in healthcare!
Your Guide to the Care Extender Experience.
Nationally Recognized Excellence: UCLA Health consistently shines on the national stage, celebrated as the #1 hospital in both California and Los Angeles. Its esteemed presence on the national honor roll for 34 consecutive years speaks volumes about its commitment to healthcare.
Deep Clinical Immersion: The Care Extender Program offers a firsthand dive into the clinical world. From direct patient interactions to rotations across diverse departments, you'll gain a comprehensive understanding of healthcare roles and operations.
Holistic Professional Growth: Care Extenders are integral members of the UCLA Health family. Beyond clinical exposure, the program nurtures essential soft and technical skills, preparing you for a promising career in healthcare.
Alumni Success Stories: Testimonials from alumni, like Kendra Beckin, highlight the transformative impact of the program. Such experiences often become defining moments, revealing the vast opportunities in the medical field.
Legacy of Excellence: Volunteering at UCLA Health means being part of a legacy. The institution's rich history of innovation and achievement ensures you're contributing to and learning from a tradition of unparalleled healthcare excellence.
- Must be 18 years or older at the time of orientation.
- Currently attending college or college graduate.
- United States Citizen, United States Permanent Resident (Green Card), DACA Student, or International: F-1 Visa (current full-time UCLA undergraduate students only)
- If part of another UCLA Health volunteer program, must complete a minimum of 50 hours prior to applying to this program.
- Ideal for pre-healthcare students, professionals considering a career shift, or those passionate about enhancing patient experiences.
- Commit to one 4 hour shift per weekly for a year.
- Collaborate with department coordinators to tailor a schedule suiting your availability.
- All Care Extenders undergo an additional greeters rotation during their initial phase, totaling six hours weekly.
- Attend a mandatory orientation (held in January, April, July, and October) by reservation.
- If application accepted, attend an interview.
- Upon interview acceptance, attend a comprehensive training day.
- Ensure you are CPR certified by the American Heart Association, have completed a TB screening, and can provide proof of MMR and varicella vaccinations or titers by determined deadline.
Winter 2024 Recruitment
The Winter 2024 recruitment cycle sign ups will go live the week of 11/27/23. Orientation will be held via Zoom and interviews will be held in person. Please be sure to download the Zoom app onto your desktop or laptop. Please see below for more information about each event.
Register for only ONE Zoom session and include an email address that you check regularly. This email address will be used to send the application link and other important notices. Please note that space is limited and on a first come first serve basis. There will not be a waitlist.
Please sign in to Zoom on time via desktop or laptop. Multiple device log ins will not be permitted. Be sure to be in a location that has strong internet connectivity. Late arrivals will not be admitted into the Zoom. We will spend the first hour presenting about the program. The application link will be emailed to only orientation attendees after the last orientation session and will be due no later than Thursday, January 11 at 12pm. Any applications submitted past the deadline will not be graded.
Key Dates and Deadlines
|APPLICATION DEADLINE||January 11, 2024||12:00 PM|
|INTERVIEW ACCEPTANCE||January 12, 2024||5:00 PM|
|INTERVIEW DATES||Week of January 15, 2024||Between 5 PM - 8:30 PM|
|PROGRAM ACCEPTANCE||January 19, 2024||5:00 PM|
|CLEARANCE DEADLINE||February 7, 2024||11:59 PM|
|TRAINING DAY||February 11, 2024||8:00 AM|
|ROTATION START DATE||February 19, 2024||-|
Future Rotation Dates
|ACTIVITY||SPRING 2024||SUMMER 2024|
|ORIENTATION||Week of April 1, 2024||Week of July 1, 2024|
|INTERVIEWS||Week of April 8, 2024||Week of July 8, 2024|
|TRAINING DAY||Sunday, May 5, 2024||Sunday, August 11, 2024|
|ROTATION START DATE||Monday, May 13, 2024||Monday, August 19, 2024|