Make a difference in your community while gaining valuable leadership skills and insight into the medical field!
The Mattel Youth Ambassadors are a dynamic group comprised of high school students ages 16-18 who support the Mattel Children’s Hospital and patient experience programs. You will gain valuable leadership skills while giving back to the community. Our Youth Ambassadors are ambitious and interested in improving the health and well-being of others, while learning about the healthcare environment, and medical career options. Meet fellow students who share your ambitions, and have fun along the way!
This virtual program is comprised of regular meetings, virtual activities, and service to the hospital. There is a fundraising goal, as well as participation in projects from the Child Life Department such as our Halloween event, holiday festivities for the patients, and National Child Life month. Weekly dynamic meetings offer leadership skills, physician round table discussions to explore the medical field, and opportunities to expand knowledge of the healthcare environment.
Program application opens April 4, and extends though May 31, 2022. Orientation and initial member meeting begins in early July, with weekly meetings on Wednesdays at 3:30pm during summer and monthly during the school year. Program concludes with awards recognition ceremony in May 2023. Letters of recommendation will be provided upon request to all students who complete the program requirements and remain in good standing.
Application is now closed. Please check back in March 2023.
For more information please email [email protected]
- Open to high school students ages 16-18
- If accepted, must on-board as a UCLA Health volunteer
- Must be able to attend weekly meetings; (see calendar) Two excused absences permitted within program timeframe
- Requires an individual fund-raising commitment to be completed by April 30, 2023, in order to receive award and recommendation letter
- >Student must adhere to fundraising guidelines. Information regarding these guidelines will be covered at orientation
- Fundraising Proposal form
- Must be able to attend virtual meetings on Wednesdays from 3:30pm - 4:30pm
Timeline and Calendar
- Application opens April 7, 2022. Deadline for submission is May 31, 2022
- Acceptance notifications will be sent via e-mail on June 10, 2022
- Information and introductory session July 13, 2022
- Meeting Schedule link here
- Fundraising Deadline April 30, 2023
- Award Recognition Ceremony May, 2023 (TBD)
Fundraising for Mattel Youth Ambassadors must not begin before formal acceptance into the program. Students are solely responsible for achieving fundraising goal after submission of fundraising proposal to program managers. Fundraising efforts are individual, and the UCLA Spark platform is encouraged. However, students may raise funds through donations from a birthday, Bar/Bat Mitzvah, or holiday event which have been designated for the program. Other individual fundraising ideas may also be proposed by the students.
Fundraisers cannot be located on hospital or clinic premises
Fundraising goal must be completed by April 30, 2023.
The on-boarding period takes place after formal acceptance into the program. Further information will be provided.
If you have any questions please email [email protected]