UPDATE (3/7/2022): Please note the following changes/impacts:
- New Applicants: We have implemented a new Database System. Please see below for the new process.
- Non-Clinical UCLA Health Sciences registered Volunteers may continue to resume onsite activities within the locations according to their approved scope of duties.
- Locations must be Non-Clinical buildings ONLY as indicated in their Scope.
- Requirements to be onsite:
- Volunteers must be currently registered and maintain “active” status under the faculty/staff’s assignment (faculty/staff will be notified of who is under their supervision today).
- Volunteers must wear their UCLA Volunteer ID Badge at all times WITH the COVID/Flu Badge buddies and Booster Sticker attached in order to be onsite. Our office handles the badging and sticker process.
- Volunteers must adhere to current UCLA Health COVID Guidelines and Protocols such as masking, physical distancing, hand hygiene, and any updated requirements (i.e. Booster stickers, etc.).
- Volunteers are required to complete all training and health updates prompted by our office’s new database system. Please remind your volunteers to complete their expired/missing requirements as soon as possible.
The Non-Clinical UCLA Health Sciences (NCUHS) Volunteer Program is distinct and separate from the hospital-based volunteer program.
The Non-Clinical UCLA Health Sciences (NCUHS) Volunteer Program provides the on-boarding and clearances for invited students and other eligible individuals to participate in non-clinical research/laboratory projects, administrative projects, and/or educational endeavored volunteer programs. Invitation and eligibility into the program is at the discretion of these departments and the UCLA Health Sciences Volunteer Office. Priority will be given to UCLA undergraduates.
Research volunteer opportunities are geared towards undergraduate students as a learning opportunity, and for an introductory research experience, as well as to supplement their pre-health curriculum on the Health Sciences campus under the close supervision of our faculty and staff.
Please note, we do not recruit for the health sciences volunteer programs, and students must be invited by a faculty member or an approved staff sponsor to participate.
Please review the Volunteer Eligibility Requirements before proceeding with the clearance process.
- "Non-Clinical Activities": activities that will NOT involve ANY of the following:
- Patient or human research subject contact/interaction
- Access to or handle any identifiable/clinical/medical information
- Perform any duties involving activity within clinical settings and areas (i.e. hospital, clinics, waiting rooms, etc.)
To Get Started
APPLICANTS: You must be officially invited by the inviting supervisor (UCLA Health Sciences Staff/Faculty) and receive an Opportunity Link via email to sign up for their Volunteer Assignment. (Click here for an example of an Opportunity Link)
- Before Proceeding, please check for volunteer status eligibility
- New NCUHS Volunteer Applicants: You will be prompted to complete the Prescreening and On-Boarding process.
- Existing NCUHS Volunteers: You will be prompted to update your information to ensure eligibility and complete any missing On-Boarding requirements before the CUHS Program Coordinator can approve and place you with the supervisor’s assignment.
INVITING SUPERVISORS: Must be a UCLA Health Sciences Employee (may not be an undergraduate student worker or contractor/contingent worker).
- Before Proceeding, please read the Volunteer Guidelines.
- Please click here for instructions (via UCLA Health Box). (Click here for an example of what an Opportunity Link would entail)
- Please use your Mednet Login to access the document, if you are unable to access this, please contact our staff ([email protected]).
During the summer and beginning of the academic quarter, we receive higher than usual volunteer requests. Thank you for your patience as we review them and get back to you as soon as we can.
What to Expect
- Applicants may preview the Non-Clinical UCLA Health Sciences Volunteer Requirements to help expedite the process and prepare for the On-Boarding Process.
- Once your supervisor's Opportunity form is approved, you (applicant) will receive a link to the Opportunity which you must "sign up" and then complete the Prescreening Process.
- Once your prescreening is completed, you will be notified via email to start the On-Boarding steps via Samaritan (Volunteer Dashboard).
- Applicant volunteers complete their on-boarding steps via the Samaritan Volunteer Login or Dashboard. You will need to sign up if you do not have an existing volunteer record with UCLA Health.
- Turnaround time from On Boarding to Final Session is typically 1-2 weeks (with no delays from background checks, other clearance items, and/or other approvals).
- The Sign-Up for an On-Boarding Appointment will not be available until all of the requirements are completed and verified by our coordinators.
- After the On-Boarding Appointment, you are required to complete the Final Session Orientation to finalize the clearance process.
For any additional questions NOT listed in our FAQs, please contact the UCLA Health Sciences Volunteer Office.