Manuel L. Penichet, M.D., Ph.D.
University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA)
Manuel L. Penichet holds an M.D. and a doctorate in biochemistry from the Havana Advanced Institute of Medical Sciences in Cuba. Early in his scientific career in Cuba he worked on the development of a recombinant vaccine against parasites, which has been marketed and used internationally. Since 1996, he has worked at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) in the fields of immunology, immunotherapy, antibody engineering, and nanotechnology, focusing on cancer and infectious diseases. Dr. Penichet’s research has both a basic science component and a translational component.
Dr. Penichet is a tenured Professor in the Division of Surgical Oncology at UCLA Department of Surgery with a joint appointment in the Department of Microbiology, Immunology, and Molecular Genetics. He is also a member of the AIDS Institute, the Molecular Biology Institute, the California NanoSystems Institute, and the Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center. Dr. Penichet is author or co-author of more than 100 publications including original papers, reviews, book chapters, and a book. Many of Dr. Penichet’s senior-authored articles have been published in prestigious journals such as Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS) of the United States of America, Nature Communications, Journal of Immunology, Leukemia, and Blood. He is also the lead inventor of four granted patents based on work conducted at UCLA.
Additionally, Dr. Penichet has been invited to present his results at more than 80 seminars and conferences in 12 countries. With regard to extramural funding, Dr. Penichet has received more than 25 grants, including five NIH/NCI R01 grants as Principal Investigator. In addition, he is the recipient of several awards, such as the “2001 Amgen Award” and the “2017 NIH/NCI Lifetime Achievement Award”. Dr. Penichet has also been deeply involved in teaching and training of undergraduate, graduate, and medical students, for which he has received numerous teaching awards. Importantly, he also has worked extensively as a consultant or reviewer of research projects for the biotech sector and for state and federal agencies in the United States and abroad.
To view his recent work on PubMed please visit this link.
Email: [email protected]
1. Martinez L.E., Ibarrondo J., Guo Y., Penichet M.L., and Epeldegui M. Follicular CD8+ T-cells are elevated in HIV infection and induce PD-L1 on B-cells. The Journal of Immunology, 2023, 210 (1): 33-9.
2. Hickerson B.T., Daniels-Wells T.R., Payes C., Clark L.E., Candelaria P.V., Bailey K.W., Sefing E.J., Zink S., Ziegenbein J., Abraham J., Helguera G., Penichet M.L., and Gowen B.B. Host receptor-targeted therapeutic approach to counter pathogenic New World mammarenavirus infection. Nature Communications, 2022, 13(1): Article 558 (14 pages).
3. Candelaria P.V., Nava M., Martinez-Maza O., Daniels-Wells T.R., and Penichet M.L. Combination therapy of an antibody specific for transferrin receptor 1 (ch128.1/IgG1) with bortezomib or lenalidomide results in increased survival in an in vivo model of human multiple myeloma: A brief communication. Journal of Immunotherapy, 2022; 45 (5): 227-30.
4. Martinez L.E., Daniels-Wells T.R., Guo Y., Magpantay L.I., Candelaria P.V., Penichet M.L., Martinez-Maza O., and Epeldegui M. Targeting TfR1 with the ch128.1/IgG1 antibody inhibits EBV driven lymphomagenesis in immunosuppressed mice bearing EBV+ human primary B-cells. Molecular Cancer Therapeutics, 2021, 20 (9): 1592-602.
5. Markov S.D., Caffrey T.C., O’Connell K.A., Grunkemeyer J.A., Shin S., Hanson R., Patil P.P., Shukla S.K., Gonzalez D., Crawford A.J., Vance K.E., Huang Y., Eberle K.C. Radhakrishnan P., Grandgenett P.M., Singh P.K., Madiyalakan R., Daniels-Wells T.R., Penichet M.L., Nicodemus C.F., Poole J.A., Jaffee E.M., Hollingsworth M.A., and Mehla K. IgE-based therapeutic combination enhances anti-tumor response in preclinical models of pancreatic cancer. Molecular Cancer Therapeutics, 2021, 20 (12): 2457-68.
6. Hickerson B.T., Sefing E.J., Bailey K.W., Van Wettere A.J., Penichet M.L., and Gowen B.B. Type I interferon underlies severe disease associated with Junín virus infection in mice. eLife, 2020, 26 (9): Article e55352 (20 pages).
7. Daniels-Wells T.R., Candelaria P.V., Leoh L.S., Nava M., Martinez-Maza O., and Penichet M.L. An IgG1 version of the anti-transferrin receptor 1 antibody ch128.1 shows significant antitumor activity against different xenograft models of multiple myeloma: A brief communication. Journal of Immunotherapy, 2020, 43 (2): 48-52.
8. Candelaria P.V., Leoh L.S., Penichet M.L., and Daniels-Wells T.R. Antibodies targeting the transferrin receptor 1 (TfR1) as direct anti-cancer agents. Frontiers in Immunology, 2021, 12: Article 607692 (21 pages).
9. Kaumaya P.T.P., Guo L., Overholser J., Penichet M.L., and Bekaii-Saab T. Immunogenicity and antitumor efficacy of a novel human PD-1 B-cell vaccine (PD1-Vaxx) and combination immunotherapy with dual trastuzumab/pertuzumab HER-2 B-cell epitope vaccines (B-Vaxx) in syngeneic mouse models. OncoImmunology, 2020, 9 (1): Article: 1818437 (14 pages).
10. Epeldegui M., Conti D.V., Guo Y., Penichet M.L., and Martinez-Maza O. Elevated numbers of PD-L1 expressing B cells are associated with the development of AIDS-NHL. Scientific Reports, 2019, 9(1): 9371 (9 pages).
11. Luria-Perez R., Candelaria P.V., Daniels-Wells T.R., Rodriguez J.A., Helguera G., and Penichet M.L. Amino acid residues involved in the heparin-binding activity of murine IL-12 in the context of an antibody-cytokine fusion protein. Cytokine, 2019, 120: 220-26.
12. Sun T., Patil R., Galstyan A., Klymyshyn D., Ding H., Chesnokova A., Cavenee W.K., Furnari F., Ljubimov V.A., Shatalova E.S., Wagner S., Li D., Mamelak A.N., Bannykh S.I., Patil C.G., Rudnick J.D., Hu J., Grodzinski Z.B., Rekechenetskiy A., Falahatian V., Lyubimov A.V., Chen Y.L., Leoh L.L., Daniels-Wells T.R., Penichet M.L., Holler E., Ljubimov A.V., Black K.L., and Ljubimova J.Y. Blockade of a laminin-411 - Notch axis with CRISPR/Cas9 or a nanobioconjugate inhibits glioblastoma growth through tumor-microenvironment crosstalk. Cancer Research, 2019, 79(6): 1239-51.
13. Plotkin J.D., Elias M., Fereydouni M., Daniels-Wells T.R., Dellinger A.L., Penichet M.L., and Kepley C.L. Human mast cells from adipose tissue target and induce apoptosis of breast cancer cells. Frontiers in Immunology, 2019, 10: Article 138 (13 pages).
14. Leoh L.S., Kim Y.K., Candelaria P.V., Martinez-Maza O., Daniels-Wells T.R., and Penichet M.L. Efficacy and mechanism of antitumor activity of an antibody targeting TfR1 in an in vivo model of human multiple myeloma. The Journal of Immunology, 2018, 200 (10): 3485-94.
15. Palladini A., Thrane S., Janitzek C.M., Pihl J., Clemmensen S.B., de Jongh W.A., Clausen T.M., Nicoletti G., Landuzzi L., Penichet M.L., Balbonia T., Ianzano M.L., Giusti V., Theander T.G., Nielsen M.A., Salantib A., Lollini P.L., Nanni P., and Sanderb A.F. Virus-like particle display of HER2 induces potent anti-cancer responses. OncoImmunology, 2018, 7 (3): 1408749 (12 pages).
16. Palladini A., Thrane S., Janitzek C.M., Pihl J., Clemmensen S.B., de Jongh W.A., Clausen T.M., Nicoletti G., Landuzzi L., Penichet M.L., Balbonia T., Ianzano M.L., Giusti V., Theander T.G., Nielsen M.A., Salantib A., Lollini P.L., Nanni P., and Sanderb A.F. Virus-like particle display of HER2 induces potent anti-cancer responses. OncoImmunology, 2018, 7 (3): Article 1408749 (12 pages).
17. Almagro J.C., Daniels-Wells T.R., Perez-Tapia S.M., and Penichet M.L. Progress and challenges in the design and clinical development of antibodies for cancer therapy. Special volume entitled “Is the recent burst of therapeutic anti-tumor antibodies the tip of an iceberg?”. Frontiers in Immunology, 2018, 8: Article 1751 (19 pages).
18. Leoh L.S., Kim Y.K., Candelaria P.V., Martinez-Maza O., Daniels-Wells T.R., and Penichet M.L. Efficacy and mechanism of antitumor activity of an antibody targeting TfR1 in an in vivo model of human multiple myeloma. The Journal of Immunology, 2018, 200 (10): 3485-94.
19. Jensen-Jarolim E., Bax H.J., Bianchini R., Crescioli S., Daniels-Wells T.R., Dombrowicz D., Fiebiger E., Gould H.J., Irshad S., Janda J., Josephs D.H., Levi-Schaffer F., O’Mahony L., Pelizzari G., Penichet M.L., Redegeld F., Singer J., Untersmayr E., Vangelista L., Karagiannis S.N. AllergoOncology: Opposite outcomes of immune tolerance in allergy and cancer. European Academy of Allergy and Clinical Immunology (EAACI) Position Paper. Special article prepared by the International AllergoOncology Task Force with co-authors listed in alphabetical order. Allergy, 2018, 73 (2): 328-340.
20. Shi Y., Daniels-Wells T.R., Frost P., Lee J., Finn R.S., Bardeleben C., Penichet M.L., Jung M., Gera J., and Lichtenstein A. An inhibitor of DEPTOR-mTOR binding induces significant cytotoxicity against multiple myeloma cells. Cancer Research, 2016, 76 (19): 5822-31.
21. Koru-Sengul T., Santander A.M., Miao F., Sanchez L.G., Jorda M., Glück S., Ince T.A., Nadji M., Chen Z., Penichet M.L., Cleary M.P., and Torroella-Kouri M. Breast cancers from black women exhibit higher numbers of immunosuppressive macrophages with proliferative activity and of crown-like structures associated with lower survival compared to non-black Latinas and Caucasians. Breast Cancer Research and Treatment, 2016, 158 (1): 113-26.
22. Cornford E.M., Hyman S., Cornford M.E., Chytrova G., Rhee J, Suzuki T., Yamagata T., Yamakawa K., Penichet M.L., and Pardridge W.M. Non-invasive gene targeting to the fetal brain after intravenous administration and transplacental transfer of plasmid DNA using PEGylated immunoliposomes. Journal Drug Targeting, 2016, 24 (1): 58-67.
23. Daniels-Wells T.R., Widney D.P., Leoh L.S., Martinez-Maza O., and Penichet M.L. Efficacy of an anti-transferrin Receptor 1 antibody against AIDS-related non-Hodgkin lymphoma: a brief communication. Journal of Immunotherapy, 2015, 38 (8): 307-10.
24. Leoh L.S., Daniels-Wells T.R., Martinez-Maza O., and Penichet M.L. Insights into the effector functions of human IgG3 in the context of an antibody targeting transferrin receptor 1. Molecular Immunology, 2015, 67 (2B): 407-15.
25. Leoh L.S., Daniels-Wells T.R., and Penichet M.L. IgE Immunotherapy against cancer. In IgE Antibodies: Generation and Function. Current Topics in Microbiology and Immunology series. Maria A. Curotto de Lafaille and Juan J. Lafaille, eds. Springer-Verlag GmbH, Berlin, Germany. Invited book chapter. 2015, 388: 109-49.
26. Leoh L.S., Morizono K., Kershaw K.M., Chen I.S., Penichet M.L., and Daniels-Wells T.R. Gene delivery in malignant B cells using the combination of lentiviruses conjugated to anti-transferrin receptor antibodies and an immunoglobulin promoter. Journal of Gene Medicine, 2014, 16 (1-2): 11-27.
27. Widney D.P., Olafsen T., Wu A.M., Kitchen C.M.R., Said J.W., Smith J.B., Pena G., Magpantay L., Penichet M.L., and Martinez-Maza O. Levels of murine, but not human, CXCL13 are greatly elevated in NOD-SCID mice bearing the AIDS-associated Burkitt lymphoma cell line, 2F7. Plos ONE, 2013, 8 (8): Article e72414 (20 pages).
28. VanderWall K., Daniels T.R., Penichet M.L., and Lichtenstein A. Iron in multiple myeloma. Special volume entitled “Iron in Cancer”. Critical Reviews in Oncogenesis, 2013, 18 (5): 449-61.
29. Daniels-Wells T.R., Helguera G., Rodriguez J.A., Leoh L.S., Erb M.A., Diamante G., Casero D., Pellegrini M., Martinez-Maza O., and Penichet M.L. Insights into the mechanism of cell death induced by saporin delivered into cancer cells by an antibody fusion protein targeting the transferrin receptor 1. Toxicology In Vitro, 2013, 27 (1): 220-31.
30. Daniels T.R., Helguera G., Leuchter R., Quintero R., Kozman M., Rodriguez J.A., Ortiz-Sanchez E., Martinez-Maza O., Schultes B.C., Nicodemus C.F., and Penichet M.L. A novel IgE antibody targeting the prostate-specific antigen as a potential prostate cancer therapy. BMC Cancer, 2013, 13: 195 (13 pages).
31. Ding H., Helguera G., Rodriguez J.A., Markman J., Luria-Perez R., Gangalum P., Portilla-Arias J., Inoue S., Daniels-Wells T.R., Black K., Holler E., Penichet M.L., and Ljubimova J.Y. Polymalic acid nanoconjugate for simultaneous inhibition of tumor growth and immunostimulation in HER2/neu-positive breast cancer. Journal of Controlled Release, 2013, 171 (3): 322-9.
32. Daniels T.R., Helguera G., Leuchter R., Quintero R., Kozman M., Rodriguez J.A., Ortiz-Sanchez E., Martinez-Maza O., Schultes B.C., Nicodemus C.F., and Penichet M.L. A novel IgE antibody targeting the prostate-specific antigen as a potential prostate cancer therapy. BMC Cancer, 2013, 13: 195 (13 pages).
33. Rocha A., Wang L., Penichet M.L., and Martins-Green M. Pomegranate juice and specific components inhibit cell and molecular processes critical for metastasis of breast cancer. Breast Cancer Research and Treatment, 2012, 136 (3): 647-58.
34. Daniels T.R., Martinez-Maza O., and Penichet M.L. Animal models for IgE-meditated cancer immunotherapy. Special volume entitled “AllergoOncology: The Role of Th2 Responses in Cancer” [symposium-in-writing review]. Cancer Immunology, Immunotherapy, 2012, 61 (9): 1535-46.
35. Daniels T.R., Bernabeu E., Rodriguez J.A., Kozman M., Patel S., Chiappetta D., Holler E., Ljubimova J.Y., Helguera G., and Penichet M.L. The transferrin receptor and the targeted delivery of therapeutic agents against cancer. Special volume entitled “Transferrins: Molecular Mechanisms of Iron Transport and Disorders”. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, 2012, 1820 (3): 291-317.
36. Helguera G., Jemielit S., Abraham J., Cordo S., Rodriguez J.A., Martinez G., Bregni C., Penichet M.L., Candurra N., and Choe H. An antibody recognizing the apical domain of human transferrin receptor 1 efficiently inhibits the entry of all new world hemorrhagic Fever arenaviruses. Journal of Virology, 2012, 86 (7): 4024-8.
37. Daniels T.R., Leuchter R., Quintero R., Helguera G. Rodriguez J.A., Martinez-Maza O., Schultes B.C., Nicodemus C.F., and Penichet M.L. Targeting HER2/neu with a fully human IgE to harness the allergic reaction against cancer cells. Cancer Immunology, Immunotherapy, 2012, 61(7): 991-1003.
38. Hahn T., Bradley-Dunlop D., Hurley L.H., Von-Hoff D., Gately S., Disis M.L., Penichet M.L., Jagadish B., Mash E.A., Besselsen D., Cole B., and Akporiaye E.T. The vitamin E analog, alpha-tocopheryloxyacetic acid enhances the anti-tumor activity of trastuzumab against HER2/neu-expressing breast cancer. BMC Cancer, 2011, 11 (1): 471 (12 pages).
39. Rodriguez J.A., Luria-Perez R., Lopez-Valdes H.E., Diaz-Cano D.C., Daniels T.R., Patel S., Avila D., Leutchter R., Ortiz-Sanchez E., So S., Bonavida B., Martinez-Maza O., Charles A., Pellegrini M., Helguera G., and Penichet M.L. Lethal iron deprivation induced by non-neutralizing antibodies targeting transferrin receptor 1 in malignant B-cells. Leukemia and Lymphoma, 2011, 52 (11): 2169-78.
40. Daniels T.R., Ortiz-Sanchez E., Luria-Perez R., Quintero R., Helguera G., Bonavida B., Martinez-Maza O., and Penichet M.L. An antibody-based multifaceted approach targeting the human transferrin receptor for the treatment of multiple myeloma. Journal of Immunotherapy, 2011, 34 (6): 500-8.
41. Bermudez-Fajardo A., Grobler A.K., Penichet M.L., Holzle K., Wittenbrink M.W., Holzle L., and Oviedo-Orta E. The effect of Chlamydophila pneumoniae Major Outer Membrane Protein (MOMP) on macrophage and T cell-mediated immune responses. Immunobiology, 2011, 216 (1-2): 152-63.
42. Helguera G., Rodriguez J.A., Luria-Perez R., Catterton P., Bregni C., George T.C., Martinez-Maza O., Hennery S., and Penichet M.L. Visualization and quantification of cytotoxicity mediated by antibodies using imaging flow cytometry. Journal of Immunological Methods, 2011, 368 (1-2): 54-63.
43. Penichet M.L. and Jensen-Jarolim E., Chief Editors. Cancer and IgE: Introducing the Concept of AllergoOncology. Sponsoring Editor: Rachel Warren. Springer, New York, USA (2010).
44. Helguera G., Daniels T.R., Rodriguez J.A., and Penichet M.L. Monoclonal antibodies, human engineered. In Encyclopedia of Industrial Biotechnology: Bioprocess, Bioseparation, and Cell Technology. Michael C. Flickinger, ed. John Wiley & Sons, Inc., Hoboken, New Jersey, USA. 2010, volume 5, pp. 3526-42.
45. Daniels T.R., Neacato I.I., Rodriguez J.A., Ortiz-Sanchez E., Pandha H.S., Morgan R., and Penichet M.L. Disruption of HOX activity leads to cell death that can be enhanced by the interference of iron uptake in malignant B cells. Leukemia, 2010, 24 (9): 1555-65. Selected as featured article of the journal.
46. Fuenmayor J., Penichet M.L., and Montano R.F. Decreased survival of human breast cancer cells expressing HER2/neu upon incubation with an anti-HER2/neu antibody fused to C5a or C5adesArg. Molecular Cancer Therapeutics, 2010, 9 (8): 2175-85.
47. Rodriguez J.A., Lopez M., Thayer M., Zhao Y., Oberholzer M., Chang D., Kisalu N.K., Penichet M.L., Helguera G., Bruinsma R., Hill K.L., and Miao J. Propulsion of African trypanosomes is driven by bihelical waves with alternating chirality separated by kinks. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA (PNAS), 2009, 106 (46): 19322-7.
48. Gonzalez R.R., Watters A., Xu Y., Singh U.P., Mann D.R., Rueda B.R., and Penichet M.L. Leptin-signaling inhibition results in efficient anti-tumor activity in estrogen receptor positive or negative breast cancer. Breast Cancer Research, 2009, 11 (3): Article R36 (12 pages).
49. Montano R.F., Penichet M.L., Blackall D.P., Morrison S.L., and Chintalacharuvu K.R. Recombinant polymeric IgG anti-Rh: a novel strategy for development of direct agglutinating reagents. Journal of Immunological Methods, 2009, 340 (1): 1-10.
50. Ortiz-Sanchez E., Daniels T.R., Helguera G., Martinez-Maza O., Bonavida B., and Penichet M.L. Enhanced cytotoxicity of an anti-transferrin receptor IgG3-avidin fusion protein in combination with gambogic acid against human malignant hematopoietic cells: functional relevance of iron, the receptor, and reactive oxygen species. Leukemia, 2009, 23 (1): 59-70.
51. Milioti N., Bermudez-Fajardo A., Penichet M.L., and Oviedo-Orta E. Antigen-induced immunomodulation in the pathogenesis atherosclerosis. Clinical and Developmental Immunology, 2008, 2008: Article 723539 (15 pages).
52. Li G., Andreansky S., Helguera G., Sepassi M., Janikashvili N., Cantrell J., Larmonier N., Penichet, M.L., and Katsanis E. A chaperone protein-enriched tumor cell lysate vaccine generates protective humoral immunity in a mouse breast cancer model. Molecular Cancer Therapeutics, 2008, 7 (3): 721-9.
53. Daniels T.R., Ng P.P., Delgado T., Schiller G.J., Helguera G., and Penichet M.L. Conjugation of an anti-TfR IgG3-avidin fusion protein with biotinylated saporin results in significant enhancement of its cytotoxicity against malignant hematopoietic cells. Molecular Cancer Therapeutics, 2007, 6 (11): 2995-3008.
54. Rodriguez J.A., Helguera G., Daniels T.R., Neacato I.I., Lopez-Valdes H.E., Charles A.C., and Penichet M.L. Binding specificity and internalization properties of an antibody-avidin fusion protein targeting the human transferrin receptor. Journal of Controlled Release, 2007, 124 (1-2): 35-42.
55. Helguera G., Rodriguez J.A., Daniels T.R., and Penichet M.L. Long-term immunity elicited by antibody-cytokine fusion proteins protects against sequential challenge with murine mammary and colon malignancies. Cancer Immunology, Immunotherapy, 2007, 56 (9): 1507-12.
56. Shi Y., Reiman T., Li W., Maxwell C.A., Sen S., Pilarski L., Daniels T.R., Penichet M.L., Feldman R., Lichtenstein A. Targeting aurora kinases as therapy in multiple myeloma. Blood, 2007, 109 (9): 3915-21.
57. Ng P.P., Helguera G., Daniels T.R., Lomas S.Z., Rodriguez J.A., Schiller G., Bonavida B., Morrison S.L., and Penichet M.L. Molecular events contributing to cell death in malignant human hematopoietic cells elicited by an IgG3-avidin fusion protein targeting the transferrin receptor. Blood, 2006, 108 (8): 2745-54.
58. Helguera G., Rodriguez J.A., and Penichet M.L. Cytokines fused to antibodies and their combinations as therapeutic agents against different peritoneal HER2/neu expressing tumors. Molecular Cancer Therapeutics, 2006, 5 (4): 1029-40.
59. Daniels T.R., Delgado T., Rodriguez J.A., Helguera G., and Penichet M.L. The transferrin receptor part I: Biology and targeting with cytotoxic antibodies for the treatment of cancer. Clinical Immunology, 2006, 121 (2): 144-58.
60. Daniels T.R., Delgado T., Helguera G., and Penichet M.L. The transferrin receptor part II: Targeted delivery of therapeutic agents into cancer cells. Clinical Immunology, 2006, 121 (2): 159-76.
61. Helguera G., Dela Cruz J.S., Lowe C., Ng P.P., Trinh K.R., Morrison S.L., and Penichet M.L. Vaccination with novel combinations of anti-HER2/neu cytokines fusion proteins and soluble protein antigen elicits a protective immune response against HER2/neu expressing tumors. Vaccine, 2006, 24 (3): 304-16.
62. Dela Cruz J.S., Trinh K.R., Ribas A., Morrison S.L., and Penichet M.L. Anti-HER2/neu IgG3-(IL-2) and anti-HER2/neu IgG3-(GM-CSF) promote HER2/neu processing and presentation by dendritic cells: Implications in immunotherapy and vaccination strategies. Molecular Immunology, 2006, 43 (6): 667-76.
63. Dela Cruz J.S., Morrison S.L., and Penichet M.L. Insights into the mechanism of anti-tumor immunity in mice vaccinated with the human HER2/neu extracellular domain plus anti-HER2/neu IgG3-(IL-2) or anti-HER2/neu IgG3-(GM-CSF) fusion protein. Vaccine, 2005, 23 (39): 4793-803.
64. Helguera G. and Penichet M.L. Antibody-cytokine fusion proteins for the therapy of cancer. Methods in Molecular Medicine, 2005, 109: 347-74.
65. Dela Cruz J.S., Lau S.Y., Ramirez E.M., De Giovanni C., Forni G., Morrison S.L., and Penichet M.L. Protein vaccination with the HER2/neu extracellular domain plus anti-HER2/neu antibody-cytokine fusion proteins induces a protective anti-HER2/neu immune response in mice. Vaccine, 2003, 21 (13-14): 1317-26.
66. Ng P.P., Dela Cruz J.S., Sorour D.C., Stinebaugh J.M., Shin S.U., Shin D.S., Morrison S.L., and Penichet M.L. An anti-transferrin receptor-avidin fusion protein exhibits both strong, intrinsic pro-apoptotic activity and the ability to deliver various molecules into cancer cells. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA (PNAS), 2002, 99 (16): 10706-11.
68. Helguera G., Morrison S.L., and Penichet M.L. Antibody-cytokine fusion proteins: harnessing the combined power of cytokines and antibodies to cancer therapy. Clinical Immunology, 2002, 105 (3): 233-46.
69. Yoo E.M., Chintalacharuvu, K.R., Penichet M.L., and Morrison S.L. Myeloma expression systems. Journal of Immunological Methods, 2002, 261 (1-2): 1-20.
70. Dela Cruz J.S., Trinh K.R., Morrison S.L., and Penichet M.L. Recombinant anti-human HER2/neu IgG3-(GM-CSF) fusion protein retains antigen specificity, cytokine function, and demonstrates anti-tumor activity. The Journal of Immunology, 2000, 165 (9): 5112-21.
71. Penichet M.L., Kang Y.S., Pardridge W.M., Morrison S.L., and Shin S.U. An antibody-avidin fusion protein specific for the transferrin receptor serves as a delivery vehicle for effective brain targeting: initial applications in anti-HIV antisense drug delivery to the brain. The Journal of Immunology, 1999, 163 (8): 4421-6.
72. Penichet M.L., Challita-Eid P.M., Shin S.U., Sampogna S.L., Rosenblatt J.D., and Morrison S.L. In vivo properties of three human HER2/neu expressing murine cell lines in immunocompetent mice. Laboratory Animal Science, 1999, 49 (2): 179-88.
73. Challita-Eid P.M., Penichet M.L., Shin S.U., Poles T., Mosammaparast N., Mahmood K., Slamon D.J., Morrison S.L., and Rosenblatt J.D. A B7.1-antibody fusion protein retains antibody specificity and ability to activate via the T cell costimulatory pathway. The Journal of Immunology, 1998, 160 (7): 3419-26.
74. Rodriguez M., Penichet M.L., Mouris A.E., Labarta V., Luaces L.L., Rubiera R., Cordoves C., Sanchez P.A., Ramos E., Soto A., and de la Fuente J. Control of Boophilus microplus populations in grazing cattle vaccinated with a recombinant Bm86 antigen preparation. Veterinary Parasitology, 1995, 57 (4): 339-49.
75. Penichet M.L., Rodriguez M., Castellano O., Mandado S., Rojas Y., Rubiera R., Sanchez P., Lleonart R., and de la Fuente J. Detection of Bm86 antigen in different strains of Boophilus microplus and effectiveness of immunization with recombinant Bm86. Parasite Immunology, 1994, 16 (9): 493-500.
76. Rodriguez M., Rubiera R., Penichet M.L., Montesinos R., Cremata J., Falcon V., Sanchez G., Bringas R., Cordoves C., Valdes M., and de la Fuente J. High level expression of the B. microplus Bm86 antigen in the yeast Pichia pastoris forming highly immunogenic particles for cattle. Journal of Biotechnology, 1994, 33 (2): 135-46.