The Department of Surgery is dedicated to training the next generation of surgeon-leaders by:
- Developing excellent clinical judgment and technical skills
- Supporting research and professional pursuits reflecting the important links between surgery and basic science, clinical outcomes, public health, health justice, and global surgery, and
- Fostering innovation and advocacy.
The UCLA Department of Surgery offers residency programs in a range of specialties:
Fellowship training programs offer opportunities for advanced training and research in the following areas:
- Abdominal Transplant and Hepatobiliary Surgery
- Breast Surgery
- Craniofacial Surgery
- Endocrine Surgery
- Hand Surgery
- Heart & Lung Transplant
- Microvascular Surgery
- Surgical Critical Care/Trauma and Emergency Surgery
- Thoracic Surgery
- Vascular Surgery
The American Board of Surgery requires training in technologies for certification. CASIT will provide objective performance based criteria for certification and to maintain credentials.
Surgical Science is committed to providing state-of-the-art medical training simulators that focus on ease of use and validation. The simple idea is to learn the practical techniques of instrument handling in a realistic but safe environment.
- Teaching of Surgical Anatomy
- Acquiring Surgical Skills
- Developing New Procedures