The Podiatric Medicine and Surgery Residency with Reconstructive Rearfoot and Ankle (PMSR/RRA) credential offered by UCLA is accredited by the Council on Podiatric Medical Education (CPME). Our residency program sponsors for four residents each year for three years (36 months) of training.
Our three-year surgical based residency program aims to train residents to become well rounded podiatric physicians and surgeons. Residents receive training from some of the most respected teaching hospitals in Los Angeles with a diverse patient population at the Greater Los Angeles, UCLA, Olive-View UCLA, and Kaiser Hospitals. At these facilities, our residents learn from numerous nationally recognized attendings. Training involves exposure to a wide variety of lower extremity pathology including trauma, limb salvage, reconstruction, and elective surgery. Additionally, residents have vast opportunities to participate in research studies. Research at our program has been robustly funded by more than $3 million in grants.
We strive to prepare residents for expert care in all aspects of podiatric medicine and surgery.
Program at a Glance
• Length of program: 3 years
• Number of positions available: Four PGY-1 residents per year
- Monthly cadaver lab at UCLA-Ronald Reagan
- Monthly grand rounds and journal club
- Monthly multidisciplinary M&M with General/Vascular/Ortho/ENT
- Monthly resident lecture
- Monthly attending lecture
- Bi-monthly book club
- Bi-monthly radiology rounds with musculoskeletal Radiologist
- Bi-monthly research meetings
- Weekly student didactic sessions
- Weekly surgical case review sessions
- DVA West Los Angeles Medical Center
- UCLA Ronald Reagan Medical Center
- UCLA – Olive View Medical Center
- Kaiser Woodland Hills Medical Center
- Kaiser West Los Angeles
Competitive salary, medical insurance (including health, dental, and vision), ABFAS In-training exam, board study resources, UCLA Cadaver Lab, annual residency retreat, free meals and parking, embroidered white coats and soft-shell jackets, scrub cards, paid BLS/ACLS courses, AO and ACFAS conferences, and full medical library access.
Located in the heart of West LA, close to numerous restaurants and landmarks. Sunny Southern California weather and 10 minutes from the beach, Santa Monica Pier & Promenade, Venice Boardwalk, Hollywood. 45 minutes from Disneyland, Six Flags-Magic Mountain, and Universal Studios.
How to Apply
Thank you for your interest in our program. The Central Application Service for Podiatric Residencies (CASPR) has developed an application service and matching program for all applicants. All applicants are required to apply through CASPR. More information can be found online at www.casprweb.org.
The CASPR operates on a fixed Schedule of Dates which all participants must follow.
- July 27, 2022, 11:00 a.m. Eastern Time: Applicant Registration and Applications Open.
- September 30, 2022: Recommended Deadline for College Material Upload.
- October 31, 2022, 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time: Applications must be submitted in the NMS Match System to be included in the initial set of applications provided to programs. If a program requires any direct supplemental fees or materials they must also be submitted by this date.
- Personal Statement
- 3 Letters of Recommendation
- Curriculum Vitae
- APMLE Part I and Part II
- Medical school transcripts
- Externship strongly encouraged, but not required