Welcome to 16th Street Internal Medicine & Pediatrics in Santa Monica! We offer world-class medical care for the entire family, with outstanding customer service. Our doctors have all completed their training in the combined field of Internal Medicine-Pediatrics (known as Med-Peds for short). This combined program has existed as a specialty in medicine since 1967 and makes our physicians experts in both Adult and Pediatric Care. Med-Peds physicians are as comfortable in the newborn nursery as they are in the nursing home, intensive care units, and, most importantly, the ambulatory clinic or office! Book an appointment today and see for yourself what makes UCLA Health one of the most dependable names in health care.
Note: When scheduling an appointment with your primary care provider (PCP), it is always best to make the right type of appointment. If you have new symptoms you’d like to discuss, or you’re unsure what type of appointment you need, please let us know when you schedule the appointment.
- 8:00 am - 9:00 pm
- 8:00 am - 9:00 pm
- 8:00 am - 9:00 pm
- 8:00 am - 9:00 pm
- 8:00 am - 9:00 pm
- 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
- 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Walk-ins welcome. Last walk-in patient accepted 30 minutes prior to close.
Meet Our Resident Physicians
Our approach to care
We are a small group of clinicians part of UCLA Health and our clinic is located across the street from UCLA Santa Monica Medical Center.
Our doctors have all completed their training in the combined field of Internal Medicine-Pediatrics (known as Med-Peds for short). This combined program has existed as a specialty in medicine since 1967 and makes our physicians experts in both Adult and Pediatric Care.
This field combines the strengths of both Internal Medicine and Pediatrics, producing physicians who are knowledgeable and skilled in the diagnosis and management of illnesses across the range of the human life span. Med-Peds physicians are as comfortable in the newborn nursery as they are in the nursing home, intensive care units, and, most importantly, the ambulatory clinic or office!
Our own doctors, because of their unique training, fill an important niche in UCLA’s academic medical centers. They work closely with Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center and UCLA Santa Monica Medical Center and are active in the training and continued education of younger doctors (Interns and Residents from UCLA) as well as medical students from the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA.
Since we are Internal Medicine and Pediatric Physicians you will see services for both adults and children. Our goal is to provide quality, comprehensive care to patients in all stages of life. Here is a partial list of services we provide.
Newborn and Infant Care
Taking care of a newborn and infant is one of the most rewarding experiences you will ever encounter in life. Whether you’re a first time parent or a veteran to the process, one thing that everyone will agree upon for sure is that there is a lot of love and hard work that goes into caring for a baby.
It's an exciting time when you go home with a new baby and we want to be there with you to help you along the way to make sure your newborn and infant is cared for properly and all your questions are answered. We encourage you to take advantage of a variety of services for newborns and babies that are offered at our clinic.
Let's get your child off to a good start! Our Med-Peds physicians and nurses love working with children! From routine physical examinations, immunizations, to diagnosing and treating complex medical conditions, our Med-Peds Comprehensive Care Center is ready to handle all of your child's healthcare needs.
Our Bruin-friendly doctors and staff are dedicated to work with you to make sure we provide your child with excellent care and provide up-to-date healthcare information. In addition, for your convenience our clinic is open for you 7 days a week. We offer a number of services for children of all ages.
Teen and Young Adult
As a teen or young adult, you have a lot happening in your life. There’s school, work, sports, activities, and of course, a bustling social life. Chances are fitting in doctors’ appointments isn’t the easiest thing to do -- finding a doctor that gets your changing needs and concerns, even harder. We get that!
At Teen and Young Adult Health and Wellness program, you’ll find evening and holiday appointment hours that fit your hectic schedule, easy access to specialists who understand that your needs are uniquely different from your parents and comprehensive physical and mental health care tailored specifically to people your age. And it’s all in one convenient location.
Adult and Geriatric Medicine
We love seeing adult patients and offer a number of services for adults of all ages including general physicals, well woman and well man exams, as well as pre-employment physicals. We offer regular health screening for cholesterol, cancer, and many other health conditions.
Gender Health Program
Our mission is to provide healthcare for children, adolescents, and adults who are transgender or gender non-conforming that is sensitive to everyone’s individual needs. Everyone’s gender journey is unique. We recognize that every person requires something different and want to get to know you so that we can take care of you as a whole.
Mental Health Care
Mental health encompasses our psychological, emotional as well as social well-being. This affects how we perceive things, feel and act as we cope with everyday life. This also helps determine how we handle stressors, associate with others, as well as how we make critical decisions and life choices. It follows us to every important stage of life, from being a child to being an elder. Our clinic has on-site mental health services from our physicians that work closely with our UCLA MPCCC Mental Health Team. We have a comprehensive mental health team which includes Dr. Lynette Lau, Dr. Stephanie Young, Dr. Jessica Bernacki and Bobby Verdugo, LCSW.
Nutrition and Well-Being
Our clinic has a Registered Dietician Nutritionist who is also a lifestyle coach and a certified health educator. She is available to see patients for a variety of nutrition counseling and also runs small group sessions on a variety of common chronic conditions such as obesity, hypertension, diabetes mellitus, as well as hyperlipidemia.
Young Adult Highlights Include:
- Appointments 365 days of the year: That’s right. If your only free day falls on a weekend, our healthcare providers are here for you. If you need urgent care on a holiday, just walk in or schedule an appointment to be seen that day.
- Extended evening hours: We’re open from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. on weekdays and from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. during holidays and weekends.
- Same-day appointments: Did you wake up with a weird rash, stomach problems or a scratchy throat? Just call and we’ll get you in to see a healthcare specialist within 24 hours.
- Specialized care: Our staff is skilled at providing specialized care for chronic health conditions, including ADHD, autism, diabetes and asthma. They also provide blood tests, wound care and intravenous (IV) therapy.
- Mental health counseling: Whether you’re feeling blue, suffering from anxiety, working through your parents’ divorce, grieving the loss of a loved one, getting over a relationship or dealing with other life stressors, you can confidentially talk to one of our on-site mental health counselors.
- Nutrition services: Our staff nutritionists offer group classes and one-on-one sessions, including lessons on how to make smart food choices, lose weight and manage your diabetes, all designed to promote a healthy lifestyle.
- Reproductive health services: At TYA, you can get gynecological exams, be tested for sexually transmitted infections (STIs) and learn more about birth control options and STI prevention.
- Sports physicals: We provide comprehensive sports physicals with an emphasis on common problems facing young athletes, including concussions and overuse injuries.
- Vaccinations: We can help you stay up-to-date on the immunizations you need during your teen and young adult years, including vaccines for influenza (flu), human papillomavirus (HPV) and booster shots for meningitis and tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis (Tdap).
Are You a Parent of a Teen or Young Adult?
Your child’s body is growing and changing and so are his or her related healthcare needs. It’s an important time for your teen or young adult to take on more responsibility for his or her physical and emotional well-being. Our TYA specialists are here to help you guide your maturing child into a more appropriate, grown-up healthcare setting.
TYA Programs for Parents:
These TYA programs can help you navigate the ever-changing teen and young adult years.
- Changing Bodies, Changing Minds Workshop
This workshop provides you with the tools needed to have an open discussion with your tween or teen about puberty and sexual health. You’ll also gain a better understanding of how hormone changes affect your child’s behavior, as well as get tips for communicating and engaging with your child during this sometimes turbulent life phase. At the same time, boys and girls ages 11 to 13 also meet in gender-specific groups led by a TYA specialist to learn more about their maturing bodies.
- Life After Pediatrics
Our young adult specialists host regular seminars throughout the year that address concerns specific to parents of teens and young adults. Seminar topics include:
- Transitioning your child to an adult healthcare setting, including how to find an adult provider
- Navigating healthcare insurance coverage for your teen or young adult
- Fostering self-care skills in your teen or young adult, such as scheduling annual physical exams and other medical appointments and taking charge of ordering and taking prescription medications as needed
- Promoting developmental skills, such as helping your teen or young adult pursue an education or develop job skills
- Transitioning care services for teens or young adults with special health care needs
- Finding and providing ongoing care for a teen or young adult with intellectual or developmental disabilities
- Beverly Hills
- Downtown (opening Fall 2018)
- Redondo Beach
- Santa Clarita
- Santa Monica
For more information, please call (310) 264-0808.
Brianna Cowan, MD
Director, Teen and Young Adult Health and Wellness Program
Janet Ma, MD
Director, Medicine-Pediatrics Transition Care Program
Alice Kuo, MD, PhD
Director, Medicine-Pediatrics Comprehensive Care Center
Internship: UCLA Weight Management Center, Hollywood Presbyterian Hospital and Van Nuys Community Hospital Adult Substance Abuse Program.
Graduate School: California State University, Northridge
Undergraduate: California State University, Los Angeles