Find your care
Thank you for your interest in UCLA Health Ornish Lifestyle Medicine!
Patients usually enter our program through referral by their primary care physician or cardiologist, or by self-referral.
Physicians can easily refer patients by entering the referral portal in CareConnect or by calling (310) 794-1800.
Patients are encouraged to contact us using the form below so that we can discuss each individual situation.
Stop chest pain. Halt the progression of disease in your body. Start feeling better by changing your life.
UCLA Health Ornish Lifestyle Medicine is not just a diet, an exercise regimen, or a prescription. It’s a lifestyle, a way of living that generates long-lasting and life-changing results across a broad range of conditions. Our program is scientifically proven to reverse the progression of heart disease and prostate cancer, control Type II diabetes, and lengthen telomeres – and it does all of that in a sustainable and achievable manner.
What to expect?
Participants experience the UCLA Health Ornish Lifestyle Medicine program as a consistent group - all of which have the common goal of reversing their heart disease and improving their well-being. The outpatient program consists of 18 four-hour sessions, twice per week from 3:30pm - 8:15pm (M/W) and 3:00 PM to 7:45 PM (T/Th) for 9 weeks at UCLA Medical Plaza.
This program is a comprehensive lifestyle change and focuses on four equally weighted elements of stress management, group support, exercise and nutrition. These sessions are participatory and experiential. During each of these meeting, participants experience stress management (1 hour), emotional group support (1 hour), exercise (1 hour), enjoy a nutritious plant-based meal, and listed to educational lectures (1 hour). Our team will provide patient-centered care during every step of the 9-week program to optimize each participant's lifestyle changes.
Grounded in lifestyle changes in four pillars of daily life
Our program focuses on four elements of a participant's life:
- What you eat
- How much activity you have
- How you respond to stress
- How much love and support you have
Each 4-hour session reinforces these 4 key areas of lifestyle change, altering the course of a participant's disease as it instills a new approach to living that can last a lifestyle:
- Nutrition, by healthly eating guidance during a shared meal
- Activity, via supervised exercise
- Stress management, with emphasis on relaxation techniques
- Emotional support, by way of group discussions
Why should you make this commitment?
The simplest answer is because you will experience amazing results. Our approach may help you:
- When added to current therapies, treatments and medication the UCLA Health Ornish Lifestyle Medicine Program has been proven to reduce the number of daily medications needed to manage heart disease and reduces the likelihood for repeat procedures.
- Experience delicious heart-healthy, plant based meals and discover how to prepare them at home.
- Move naturally and build up to eventual moderate aerobic activity - the health benefits of exercise are many from stress reduction to lowering blood pressure - all of which make for a healthier heart and arteries.
- Receive support from others who are going through a similar experience - when you have a support system of those with similar experiences, you are likely to not only be happier from making the social connections, but you also will create lifetime bonds.