Find your care
At UCLA, we offer one of the world's leading liver transplantation programs. Over the past three decades, we have performed more than 6,000 liver transplants in infants, children and adults.
We work closely with referring physicians to provide comprehensive care for your patients with serious liver disease or liver failure.
Refer a Patient or Receive Answers
UCLA physicians are available to consult with you regarding patient care opportunities or referrals. We offer several ways to reach us:
Call the UCLA Liver Transplant Center: (310) 825-8138
For information about hepatobiliary care at UCLA, call (310) 825-1412
You may also page the Transplant Referral Coordinator by dialing the UCLA page operator at (310) 825-6301 and requesting pager number 89088.
Liver Transplant Referrals: Why Choose UCLA
UCLA offers one of the largest and most successful programs in the U.S. for liver transplant, with physicians and patients seeking us out from across the country and around the world.
Our program offers:
- Expertise: We serve as a tertiary referral center for challenging cases from programs across the country.
- Highly specialized team: We bring together a range of experienced service providers:
- Medical specialists and surgeons who are fellowship-trained in liver surgery and transplant surgery
- Dedicated transplant coordinators
- Social worker and dietician
- Seamlessly coordinated care from other UCLA experts in radiology, oncology and other subspecialties
- Outstanding outcomes: UCLA's Liver Transplant Program has consistently achieved excellent outcomes in patient and graft survival and remains a Center of Excellence provider for numerous insurers.
- Surgical expertise: Our fellowship-trained surgeons are highly skilled in complex and advanced procedures, including multi-organ transplantation and the full range of open and minimally invasive hepatobiliary surgery techniques.
- Pioneering research: Our team is actively involved in leading research into new treatments and techniques for expanding the donor pool. We also offer many ongoing clinical trials. Read more about our research and clinical trials.
- Top-ranked patient care: Your patients benefit from the technology and sophisticated services of UCLA Health, which consistently ranks Best in the West and among the top five hospitals in the country, according to U.S. News & World Report's Best Hospitals survey.
Specialists in Difficult Liver Disease and Liver Transplant Cases
Our physicians firmly believe every patient deserves rigorous evaluation. Our experience and resources allow us to take on cases that are ineligible at some transplant programs, including patients with:
- Cholangiocarcinoma: UCLA is one of the few centers in the U.S. with a protocol for transplantation of patients with cholangiocarcinoma.
- Portal vein thrombosis
- Hepatopulmonary syndrome
- Colon cancer with metastatic disease to the liver
- Portal pulmonary hypertension
- Advanced hepatorenal syndrome
- Non-liver tumors, such as neuroendocrine tumors
- Multi-organ transplantation needs, including intestine transplant
Support Before, During and After Transplant
Our program provides complete patient support at every stage of treatment, from evaluation through follow-up, with ongoing updates to referring physicians. We achieve that with:
- Physician communication: We utilize a number of tools to keep referring physicians apprised of their patients' treatment, including access to a physician portal and videoconferences. We always schedule a phone call to discuss results after transplant surgery.
- Patient portal: All patients have access to our portal to communicate with physicians, access test results and track appointments.
- Rehabilitation and follow-up: Our rehabilitation and follow-up protocols help patients return home as soon as possible. We offer a dedicated post-transplant coordinator who helps schedule appointments and manages patients' health and support needs. For the rest of their lives, our team is here when they need us.