Hepatobiliary surgery (liver and bile duct surgery)
Patients with hepatitis C, advanced liver disease and benign or malignant cancers often require comprehensive care plans, even while awaiting a transplant. Our surgical team has advanced expertise in hepatobiliary surgery to treat diseases of the liver, bile ducts and gall bladder.
Why Choose UCLA for Hepatobiliary Surgery?
- Experts in liver resection: Our fellowship-trained surgeons have unparalleled expertise in liver resection. We also perform the full range of open and minimally invasive surgical techniques.
- Outstanding care for all phases of liver dysfunction: Our liver experts work hand-in-hand with transplantation surgeons and physicians and the Dumont-UCLA Liver Cancer Center to evaluate patients anywhere on the spectrum of liver disease.
Expertise with challenging cases: Our experience and resources allow us to take on challenging cases, including patients with:
- Complex diagnoses such as portal vein thrombosis, hepatopulmonary syndrome, hepatoblastoma, colon cancer with metastatic disease to liver, portal pulmonary hypertension and advanced hepatorenal syndrome
- Cholangiocarcinoma: We are one of the few centers in the U.S. with a protocol for liver transplantation of cholangiocarcinoma patients.
- Non-liver tumors, such as neuroendocrine tumors
- Bile duct injury repair