Find your care
We are leaders in both clinical care and research, and have helped develop leading-edge transplant techniques. To learn more, call 310-825-1412.
Hepatobiliary surgery (liver and bile duct surgery)
Patients with hepatitis C, advanced liver disease and benign or malignant cancers often require comprehensive care plans, even while awaiting a transplant. Our surgical team has advanced expertise in hepatobiliary surgery to treat diseases of the liver, bile ducts and gall bladder.
Why Choose UCLA for Hepatobiliary Surgery?
Our surgical department is among the most experienced on the West Coast in liver surgery, as well as adult liver transplant and pediatric liver transplant. The department offers:
- Experts in liver resection: Our fellowship-trained surgeons have unparalleled expertise in liver resection. We also perform the full range of open and minimally invasive surgical techniques.
- Outstanding care for all phases of liver dysfunction: Our liver experts work hand-in-hand with transplantation surgeons and physicians and the Dumont-UCLA Liver Cancer Center to evaluate patients anywhere on the spectrum of liver disease.
Expertise with challenging cases: Our experience and resources allow us to take on challenging cases, including patients with:
- Complex diagnoses such as portal vein thrombosis, hepatopulmonary syndrome, hepatoblastoma, colon cancer with metastatic disease to liver, portal pulmonary hypertension and advanced hepatorenal syndrome
- Cholangiocarcinoma: We are one of the few centers in the U.S. with a protocol for liver transplantation of cholangiocarcinoma patients.
- Non-liver tumors, such as neuroendocrine tumors
- Bile duct injury repair