Health Sciences Professor and Vice Chair of Research
Orthopaedic Hospital Research Center 410C
615 Charles E Young Dr. South
Los Angeles, CA 90095
- BA Genetics, UC Berkley
- PhD Genetics, U. Wisconsin-Madison (mentor: Oliver Smithies)
- Postdoctoral-Vanderbilt U. (mentor: Brigid Hogan)
Research Area: Growth factor signaling in skeletal tissues
AWARDS / INVENTIONS
- 2003 Distinguished Lecture Award, Japanese Society for Cartilage Biology
- 2003 AIMM (Advances in Mineral Metabolism) Investigator Award (conferred by the American Society for Bone and Mineral Research)
- 2004 Marta Marx Eradicate Scleroderma Award, The Scleroderma Foundation
- 2007 Elected co-chair, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Symposium on Fracture Repair
- 2007 Elected chair, 2010 Cartilage Gordon Conference
- 2008 Kappa Delta Ann Doner Vaughn Award, American Association of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Patent: Method and Composition for Modulating Bone Growth
PUBLICATIONS (recent articles)
- Retting, KN, Song, B, and Lyons, KM (2009) BMP canonical Smad signaling through Smad1 and Smad5 is required for endochondral bone formation. Development 136: 1093-104
- Nishida T, Kondo S, Maeda A, Kubota S, Lyons KM, Takigawa M. (2009) CCN family 2/connective tissue growth factor (CCN2/CTGF) regulates the expression of Vegf through Hif-1alpha expression in a chondrocytic cell line, HCS-2/8, under hypoxic condition. Bone 44:24-31.
- Crawford LA, Guney MA, Oh YA, DeYoung RA, Valenzuela DM, Murphy AJ, Yancopoulos GD, Lyons KM, Brigstock DR, Economides A, Gannon M. (2009) Connective tissue growth factor (CTGF) inactivation leads to defects in islet cell lineage allocation and beta-cell proliferation during embryogenesis. Mol Endocrinol 23: 324-6.
- Lyons, K.M. (2008) Animal Models: Genetic Manipulation in Primer on the Metabolic Bone Diseases and Disorders of Mineral Metabolism, JBMR, in press.
Sengle G, Ono RN, Lyons KM, Bächinger HP, Sakai LY. (2008) A new model for growth factor activation: type II receptors compete with the prodomain of BMP-7. Mol Biol 38: 1025-39.
- Kawaki H, Kubota S, Suzuki A, Lazar N, Yamada T, Matsumura T, Ohgawara T, Maeda T, Perbal B, Lyons KM, Takigawa M. (2008) Cooperative regulation of chondrocyte differentiation by CCN2 and CCN3 shown by a comprehensive analysis of the CCN family proteins in cartilage. J Bone Miner Res 23:1751-64.
Link to My Pubmed Publications >