Departmental Safety Liaison Program
Department Safety Liaisons are appointed by their departments to facilitate the flow of safety information and programs from The Office of Environmental Health & Safety into the UCLA Health workplace. Department Safety Coordinators serve all their co-workers, regardless of the kind of work performed. Every hospital department should have at least one DSL. Large departments and departments with multiple locations may need more than one DSL to be effective.
How do I designate a Department Safety Liaison?
Contact The Office of Environmental Health & Safety to designate a DSL for your department.
When are Department Safety Liaison Meetings scheduled?
Department Safety Liaison meeting are scheduled quarterly in January, April, July and October as follows:
Santa Monica Safety Liaisons - 2nd Wednesday of the month at 1:00pm-2:00pm
Westwood Safety Liaisons - 2nd Thursday of the month at 9:00am-10:00am
What are the responsibilities of a Department Safety Liaison?
It is the responsibility of employees to ensure their own safety and to assist in ensuring the safety of their patients, co-workers, and volunteers. They are ultimately responsible for their own safety and well-being.
- Support a “culture of safety” within UCLA Health.
- Be an employee volunteer to act as safety champion on their unit.
- Participate in UCLA Health Safety Liaison meetings as scheduled.
- Address & correct immediate minor safety issues.
- Present the Safety Messages to other staff during huddles and staff meetings.
- Promote safety initiatives throughout the department and disseminate safety materials to other employees.
- Take responsibility for identifying safety issues and reporting them through the appropriate channels.