Find your care
Cardiovascular Health and Menopause
Heart disease is the leading cause of death after menopause because of the development of disease of the heart arteries, including heart attacks. The complex hormonal changes that occur during menopause, including declining estrogen levels, have a critical impact on cardiovascular risk in people. The menopause transition is associated with negative effects on cholesterol, blood pressure, body composition, sleep, and mood, which can accelerate a person’s risk for future heart disease. Therefore, menopause is an important window of opportunity in a person’s life to adopt treatments to prevent cardiovascular disease. At the UCLA Menopause Program, we use a collaborative approach with the UCLA Health’s Women’s Cardiovascular Clinic to work with you to create an individualized cardiovascular disease prevention plan.
Cardiovascular Health Specialty Providers
- UCLA Health women’s cardiovascular services
- CardioSmart: Women and Heart Disease
- CardioSmart: Healthy Living
- Understanding the Mediterranean Diet
- American Heart Association: Life's Essential 8
Research / Publications
- Ebong IA, Wilson MD, Appiah D, Michos ED, Racette SB, Villablanca A, Breathett K, Lutsey PL, Wellons M, Watson KE, Chang P, Bertoni AG. Relationship Between Age at Menopause, Obesity, and Incident Heart Failure: The Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities Study. J Am Heart Assoc. 2022 Apr 19;11(8):e024461. doi: 10.1161/JAHA.121.024461. Epub 2022 Apr 13. PMID: 35416049; PMCID: PMC9238466.
- Ebong IA, Watson KE, Hairston KG, Carnethon MR, Ouyang P, Szklo M, Bertoni AG. Body fat distribution, menopausal hormone therapy and incident type 2 diabetes in postmenopausal women of the MESA study. Maturitas. 2016 Sep;91:147-52. doi: 10.1016/j.maturitas.2016.06.020. Epub 2016 Jun 28. PMID: 27451334; PMCID: PMC4968885.
- Ebong IA, Watson KE, Goff DC Jr, Bluemke DA, Srikanthan P, Horwich T, Bertoni AG. Association of menopause age and N-terminal pro brain natriuretic peptide: the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis. Menopause. 2015 May;22(5):527-33. doi: 10.1097/GME.0000000000000342. PMID: 25290536; PMCID: PMC4387119.
- Ebong IA, Watson KE, Goff DC Jr, Bluemke DA, Srikanthan P, Horwich T, Bertoni AG. Age at menopause and incident heart failure: the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis. Menopause. 2014 Jun;21(6):585-91. PMCID: PMC4031284.