The mission of the UCLA Gender Health Program is to provide healthcare for the transgender or gender-diverse community that is sensitive to everyone’s individual needs. We provide individualized endocrine support for transitions by endocrinologists experienced and active in this area. These services may include:
- Endocrinology - Initiation and monitoring of hormone therapy: We utilize estrogens and anti-estrogens, androgens and antiandrogens, progesterone, and aromatase inhibitors to steadily assist in transition and provide long-term hormonal management to achieve the desired gender state safely.
- Long-term and life-long care and management: Endocrine management is regularly adjusted to accommodate to surgical interventions and to be responsive to patients’ sometimes fluctuating wishes. Endocrine management also reflects the normal susceptibility of transgender patients to medical conditions, so preventive evaluations for vitamin D deficiency, thyroid disorders and diabetes are part of the continuing evaluation. The endocrinologists are also sensitive to weight gain and its consequences and depression with or without anxiety as issues that must be identified and addressed as appropriate.
- Case Management / Care Coordinator: At the UCLA Gender Health Program, we understand the unique challenges that gender-diverse patients face when searching for health care. Providing personalized care involves collaboration between specialty physicians, which is why we have a Care Coordinator as the first point of contact. Our dedicated Care Coordinator provides our gender-diverse patients with assistance in navigating the UCLA Health system, specifically including:
- Providing information about UCLA’s Gender Health Program.
- Taking an initial intake assessment in order to understand each person’s health care needs and goals.
- Ensuring patients are established with a primary care provider.
- Coordinating referrals for gender-affirming surgeries.
- Identifying appropriate providers and coordinating referrals for other supportive services.
- Coordinating insurance and benefits coverage.
- Advocacy within UCLA Health in all aspects of care.
- Providing linkages to UCLA and community-based resources.
Find a Doctor / Expert Team:
Dr. Stan Korenman
Dr. Aarthi Arasu
Dr. Shira Grock
Dr. Susan Ahern
Make an Appointment
For questions or additional information, email [email protected] or call us at (310) 267-4334.