Find your care
Center for Obesity and Metabolic Health Program
UCLA Center for Obesity and METabolic health (COMET)
At the UCLA Center for Obesity and METabolic (COMET) Health program, we offer advanced surgical and nonsurgical options for sustained weight loss and a better quality of life for you and your family. To achieve these goals, we’ve brought together a team of experienced specialists to research and treat obesity and its related conditions. Together, we offer comprehensive care, advanced bariatric procedures and research studies that are transforming the way we treat obesity today.
Learn more about the weight loss treatments we offer at UCLA.
Weight Loss at UCLA: Why Choose Us
For over a decade, we have provided thousands of patients with the latest, most effective treatments for obesity and obesity-related conditions, like diabetes, all in one comprehensive program. We serve patients from all over Southern and Central California, including Los Angeles County, Ventura County, Lancaster, Orange County, Bakersfield and San Bernadino. But more than that, we are one of just a few centers in the U.S. actively studying ways to conquer the obesity epidemic, and we invite you to be a part of that research.
Our program also includes:
- Among best surgical outcomes in U.S.: Our bariatric surgeons have some of the best surgical outcomes in the U.S. In national comparisons, our surgeons have had 50 percent fewer reoperations, a 99.7 percent laparoscopic completion rate, a 24-hour shorter hospital stay than average and lower complication and readmission rates.
- Latest obesity treatments: Our physician-scientists are at the forefront of discovering and offering new obesity treatments. Thanks to their research efforts, our specialists are among the most knowledgeable in the nation, which allows them to better tailor treatments to each individual patient.
- Leaders in minimally invasive procedures: We have treated thousands of patients using laparoscopic techniques that improve outcomes with shorter hospital stays, recovery times and less pain and scarring. COMET patients will also be among the first in the country to benefit from new, minimally invasive weight loss surgeries on the horizon.
- Comprehensive patient care: We offer both surgical and nonsurgical weight loss treatments and plans tailored to your unique circumstances and health needs. We also offer treatments for your obesity-related health conditions, including diabetes and liver complications. Learn more about being overweight and obesity’s related health complications.
- Collaborative, multidisciplinary team: Our COMET team features expert bariatric surgeons, hepatologists (liver disease specialists), endocrinologists (treat gland conditions including metabolic disorders and diabetes), cardiologists, interventional gastroenterologists (treats GI and liver disorders) and dietitians – all coordinating together to design personalized care plans that address every aspect of your health.
- Streamlined, convenient care: We organize your appointments and care to make sure your time with us is as productive and stress-free possible. Our specialists take the time to really get to know you and the circumstances that have led up to your condition, answer your questions and create the best treatment plan for you.
Award-winning Bariatric Surgery at UCLA
From advanced technology, including da Vinci Robotic surgical systems, to extensive patient support and education, we offer one of the most comprehensive, effective weight loss programs in the U.S. This has led to a number of prestigious honors and national recognitions including:
- U.S. News & World Report national Best Hospital rankings for UCLA Health:
- No. 1 in the western U.S. for 25 years and No. 5 in the country
- No. 5 in the nation for Gastroenterology and GI surgery
- No. 1 in California and No. 1 in the Los Angeles metro area
- MBSAQIP Accredited – Comprehensive Center with Adolescent
- National Magnet designation for outstanding nursing care
For a physician referral, please call (800) UCLA-MD1 (825-2631).
*Weight loss results can vary depending on the individual. There is no guarantee of specific results. Read full disclaimer.