November 9, 2023 | Megan Lebre, MEd, and Jane Moon, MD
In early October, many of our departmental faculty and resident physicians and administrative staff traveled up the coast to San Francisco for the American Society of Anesthesiologists (ASA) Annual Meeting, ANESTHESIOLOGY 2023. It was a weekend full of catching up with colleagues, attending presentations and workshops, participating in governance activities, and learning about the latest ideas and innovations.
The UCLA Department of Anesthesiology & Perioperative Medicine (DAPM) had a strong presence both in attendance and sessions. We had 66 total presentations and workshops, including 37 by our resident physicians and medical students. The Cannesson, Eghbali, Olcese, Ottolia, and Umar Labs all presented their research.
We would like to highlight the outstanding work of our “Best of Abstracts” award recipients:
- Basic Science: Varina Clark Onwunyi, MD, Michael Zargari, BS, Min Lin, PhD, Asif Razee, MSc, Mansoureh Eghbali, PhD, Soban Umar, MD, PhD: “miR10b-5b Inhibition as a Novel Therapeutic Strategy for the Treatment of Pulmonary Hypertension”
- Clinical Science: Sungsoo Kim, MD, Sohee Kwon, MD, Maxime Cannesson, MD, PhD: “Deep Neural Networks Analyzing Continuous Waveforms of Invasive Arterial Blood Pressure to Predict Intraoperative Hypotension During Surgery”
Other notable oral abstract presentations included the following:
- Pamela Chia, MD, MS, Jonathan Jahr, MD, Phiona Nansubuga, MD, Julia Vogt, BS, Victoria Klinewski, BS, Thomas J. Ebert, MD, PhD: “Does Pre-emptive Dexamethasone Provide Prophylaxis Against Sugammadex-induced Bradycardia? A Retrospective Study”
- Lisa Lee, MD, MS, Wendy Ren, MD, Tiffany Williams, MD, PhD: “Optimization of Analgesia for Pectus Excavatum Repair in Adolescents: Epidural Versus Cryoablation With and Without Methadone”
- John Park, MD, PhD, Soban Umar, MD, PhD: “Molecular Dissection of Right Ventricular Remodeling in Pulmonary Hypertension: Unraveling of Novel Therapies”
- Kyle Scranton, Marina Angelini, PhD, Scott John, Rui Zhang, Joshua Goldhaber, MD, Riccardo Olcese, PhD, Michela Ottolia, PhD: “Regulation of the Na-Ca Exchanger by Cytosolic Na Shapes Cardiac Excitability and the Response to Cardiac Glycosides”
- Julia Klein, MD, Mishan Rambukwella, MD, MBA, Kathy Cazares, MD, MBA, Dane Saksa, MD, MBA: “Analysis of Payments Made by Drug and Medical Device Companies to Anesthesiologists from 2017-2021”
Fueling Cardiomyocytes: Lipid Emulsion's Direct Effects on Left Ventricular Function in Endotoxemia Rats. Muhib Haidari, B.S., Somanshu Banerjee, Ph.D. Soban Umar, M.D.,Ph.D.
Ventilator-Induced Lung Injury in a Rat Model of Pulmonary Fibrosis is Influenced by Disease Severity and Tidal Volume. Dong Ho Shin, B.S., Asif Razee, M.Sc., Tristan Grogan, MS, Soban Umar, M.D.,Ph.D., Nir Hoftman, M.D.
Several DAPM faculty physicians had notable panel, point-counterpoint, and snap talk presentations:
- K. Elliott Higgins, MD: “Psychological Safety in the Workplace for all Healthcare Providers”
- Sandra Sacks, MD: “Perioperative DNR Discussions from an Anesthesiologist Perspective,” “Bringing Palliative Care Into the Conversation: What Every Anesthesiologist Should Know to Drive Change”
- Tiffany Williams, MD, PhD: “The Single Ventricle, a Setup for Multiple Problems,” “My Hospital Does Not Have a Cardiac Program: When to Transfer?”
- Jonathan Ho, MD: “Pacemakers/Defibrillators – Simple Take Home Strategies”
- James Moore, MD: “Should My Group/Department Participate in the CMS Quality Payment Program? Not Worth Doing!”
- Emily Methangkool, MD, MPH: “New Technologies in Anesthesia: Pushing Boundaries for Patient Care or Pitfalls for Patient Safety”
- Cecilia Canales, MD, MPH: “The Ethics of AI and Big Data in Anesthesiology and Perioperative Medicine”
- Betelehem Asnake, MD: “MuluMentor – A Virtual Mentorship Program for URM Pre-meds by URM Mentors”
- Jane Moon, MD: “Using History to Navigate the Future of Academic Anesthesiology”
Two DAPM representatives also participated in the Foundation for Anesthesia Education and Research (FAER) / Early Stage Anesthesiology Scholars (eSAS) Day. Soyun Park, an MD Candidate, was a FAER Medical Student Anesthesia Research Fellowship (MSARF) Summer Fellow, and John Park, MD, PhD, is a FAER Resident Scholar.
DAPM members and alumni gathered for a lively reception at Executive Order Bar & Lounge on the evening of October 15, mingling over delicious hors d’oeuvres and cocktails.
Faculty physicians Drs. Rana Movahedi, James Moore, Johnathan Pregler, and Philip Levin participated in ASA Governance events, including the California and Western Caucus Gatherings, ASA House of Delegates, and CSA’s 75th Anniversary Reception.
As Chair of the Professional Affairs Reference Committee for the ASA House of Delegates, Dr. James Moore presided over the hearing for testimony on professional affairs and led the committee in drafting and presenting its report to the House.
Between attending governance meetings, Dr. Rana Movahedi taught workshops on point-of-care ultrasound (POCUS) and high-yield peripheral nerve block.
Several other faculty physicians led hands-on workshops. Drs. J. Prince Neelankavil and Tiffany Williams led POCUS sessions on lung and abdominal image acquisition and focused cardiac ultrasound, and Drs. Jonathan Ho and Andrew Disque taught perioperative pacemaker management. Dr. Eric Hsu instructed attendees on the mechanisms of acupuncture.
CSA President-Elect Dr. Philip Levin and other UCLA faculty members attended the CSA’s 75th Anniversary Reception on Saturday at the City Club in San Francisco. Dr. Jane Moon was Co-Chair of the CSA 75th Anniversary Task Force. As part of the evening, CSA celebrated Dr. Stan Stead, ASA Distinguished Service Award recipient and past DAPM faculty member. Dr. Stead was introduced by Dr. Daniel Cole, Past ASA/CSA President and DAPM Vice Chair for Professional and Business Development.
Thank you to all who attended and shared stories and photos from the Annual Meeting.Save the date for ANESTHESIOLOGY 2024 happening from October 18 to 22 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and be sure to add the Submission Deadlines to your calendar. For submission opportunities, please visit: https://www.asahq.org/annualmeeting/education/submissions.