The Department of Anesthesiology & Perioperative Medicine welcomes patient referrals in advance of anesthesia and surgery, for patients of any age, pediatric or adult, for any of these concerns:
- Complex medical conditions that require advance anesthesia planning
- Consultation regarding readiness for anesthesia
- Consultation regarding “prehabilitation”: the goal of improving a patient’s overall health status prior to surgery
- Smoking cessation counseling
- Concern that a patient may not be a suitable candidate for a procedure at an outpatient venue
- Patients with concerns specific to anesthesia
- Patients with chronic pain and/or narcotic habituation
- Patients with a history of prior complications during anesthesia
- Patients with a family history of anesthesia-related problems, including malignant hyperthermia
Children with significant health issues may need further evaluation or testing before any procedure that requires anesthesia. Even procedures that aren't painful -- such as an MRI -- often require general anesthesia for young children who may not be able to cooperate or hold still. In order to avoid cancellations or delays on the day of the procedure, care must be up to date by every pediatric specialty that follows the child. Our pediatric anesthesiologists are happy to anwer questions about preoperative testing, criteria for outpatient venues, or other issues; please email [email protected].
Preoperative Evaluation and Planning Center (PEPC)
Medical Director: Victor Duval, MD
Main telephone: 310-794-4494
Our Preoperative Evaluation and Planning Center (PEPC), located at 200 Medical Plaza in Westwood, is the primary location for any patient, pediatric or adult, who needs a full anesthesia consultation and physical examination. We offer same-day appointments as well as scheduled visits, with the goal of making the experience as seamless as possible for your patients and their families.
In this section, you will find information about:
- An easy, quantitative way to assess medical and surgical preoperative risk
- How to request an in-person preoperative consultation at PEPC
- How to request a preoperative telephone screening interview
- Is my patient an appropriate candidate for a procedure in an outpatient venue?
- UCLA requirements for the preoperative history and physical examination
- Guidelines for preoperative laboratory testing
- Guidelines for preoperative cardiac and pulmonary testing
- NPO guidelines
- Advising patients about taking medications prior to surgery
- How to arrange a visit for pre-surgical pain medicine consultation
- How to refer a patient for chronic pain consultation and management at the UCLA Comprehensive Pain Center
Detailed recommendations for preoperative evaluation of children with high-risk conditions can be found by accessing the EForms (Forms Portal) link on the main UCLA Mednet website. Look for "Anesthesia Evaluation Protocols" (AEPs) by condition. You can also find specific UCLA Mattel Children's Hospital care pathways here. If you are affiliated with UCLA Health, you may access these pathways using your AD login. Unfortunately, we are currently unable to release these care pathways to the general public. We appreciate your understanding in this regard.