The institute pioneers advancements in pediatric medicine in the following main areas of research
- BB: Brain and Behavior
- CR: Cancer and Regeneration
- CV: Cardiovascular Health
- III: Inflammation, Infection and Immunity
- NHD: Neonatal Health and Development
- NMG: Nutrition, Metabolism and Growth
Research in each theme focuses on prevention, screening, treatment, and training opportunities for the next generation of pediatricians. Many researchers will cross-collaborate among themes and disciplines to further the scope of their research.